Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor ONLY???

dubljay Guest

Default Trolling motor ONLY???

I recently bought a 14' jon boat and a motorguide 54lb trolling motor (I can only run electric motor in the reservoir I wish to fish) I have 2 deep cycle batteries both are rated 120 reserve minutes at 70 amp hour draw, from the information I've found on the internet my motor is drawing at 38 amp hour max, I have 2 questions: 1) Should I run my batteries in parallel or single (which setup will last longer)? 2) How much run time will I have with the information I've provided if I run full throttle?

Thanks for your knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dubljay:

You need to match the voltage of your TM. If it is 12-volt you need to connect the batteries in parallel: + to + to + on TM and - to - to - on TM. If it is a 24-volt TM you need to connect the batteries in series: + wire from TM to + on one battery and - wire from TM to - on the other battery and then run a jumper wire between the two batteries from the other two posts, which is + to -.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

dubljay Guest

Default Which setup is better?

I have a 12volt, would it be better to run them in parallel? How much run time will I get on fully charged batteries?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you must run them in parallel or you'll be running it on 24-volt, which will likely burn up your motor. Or you can use them one at a time and change to the "Back-up" battery when the first one starts to weaken.

I guess you would add the amp-hours of the two batteries together and then divide that by the amp-hours your TM draws to get your hours of run time. However that will assume the batteries are in new condition and you will be running the TM at a certain average of amp-hour draw.

You'll have a better idea of how long you can run by putting a good charge on the batteries and trying the set up out. You won't get "stranded" with dead batteries if they are in good condition and you pay attention to how much thrust your TM has. They will weaken slowly and if you reduce your speed you should still be able to get a mile or two back to the boat ramp once you notice the batteries are running down. You may have a "Battery Meter" on the top of your TM that you can use to check the condition of your batteries.

I crappie fished for several years out of a canoe with about a 30-pound thrust, 12-volt TM and I just used one battery - kept a paddle handy though!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default my opion

I would run them sepertly. That way you have "just in case" Battery.
    Bill