Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: River fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default River fishing

Have a spot in the Tn river its the small channel if a island.it around 150ft wide and 30ft deep on the lower end and 12ft on the upper end. Most of the banks are full of big oak trees.
    Also quite a few cut banks with trees laying in the eddies there.
    How would you fish a place like this?
    Also its over a 1/2 mile or better of it like this. Also the lower end has cypress stumps along the bank under water.
    Its also a great spot for smallmouth bass.

Also one more spot that is around 40 acres that is behind a big bend in the river and near 2 islands big dead water place. Water is form 45 ft in the middle to avarage of 10 ft then sand and gravel banks with some trees there.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Man that sounds like home to me. I'm no pro, just a fisherman. Here is my view. I'm interested in the 40 acre part. The bend of the river sounds like an excellent place to start. The deep water being close to the shallow sandy area, is where I like to fish. The crappie during this time of year will be moving in and out of this deep area before they spawn, more than likely. I usually spider rig right off of the drops. Or just slow troll. You can use a multitude of jigs, but my favorite presentation is a double rig. You could only use two poles, easier to handle, but I put a horse head spinner on the bottom and a minnow or other jig 24 inches above on a little 4 inch tag or loop. This slow presentation usually finds them for me. Keep watching for them to spawn on the shallow sandy flats. For the other spots you mentioned, I usually hit the tree tops during the spawn and warmer water. I usually do this with a long pole and jig or minnows, dropping them in the tops. Also a white or chartruese road runner works well in dark water rivers on an ultra light. Like I said I ain't no pro, but this is what I do. There really isn't a set way to do it, but if you fish it you'll get some. I hope this helps.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I will try that . but the deep water is full if gill nets now. And also white bass.
    PEte

Post Thanks / Like

Put me in coach I'll fish that on a heart beat.
    The Crappie are always biting better yesterday - I'm always a day late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluewater
    Put me in coach I'll fish that on a heart beat.
    Run on down and we will fish it. I will post a few under water pictures in a week or so. That is if I can get them.

I hope to fish the river for crappie more this year. I know theres some big ones in there.
    Pete