Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: EPA receives petition to ban LEAD from Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Default EPA receives petition to ban LEAD from Tackle

I was tipped off to this by an e-mail from Cabela's.

Thought it should be broadcast.

Keep America Fishing

It short, "the Center for Biological Diversity and four other organizations [have petitioned the EPA] to ban all lead in fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Control Act. This includes sinkers, jigs, weighted fly line, and components that contain lead such as brass and ballast in a wide variety of lures, including spinners, stick baits and more."

This is to protect waterfowl, according to the petition. But it doesn't address the larger threat of shoreline development, nor does it consider the increased expense to fishermen and women.

Fortunately, it's open to public comment until September 15th.

Please visit the site by clicking on the link above and reading more there, then commenting to the EPA. Should only take a few minutes.

You might also comment on your state boards to spread the word to those not checking the main board.

Good fishing, all!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, they ought to start a forum for this on CC. Even though it's already been discarded by the EPA.

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    it's already been discarded by the EPA.
    EPA dropped 95% of this proposal when the NRA asserted that ammo falls under the Second Amendment's right to bear arms. EPA did NOT drop the proposal to ban lead in fishing tackle.

This is a very serious threat to the enjoyment of our sport. Slab created a special (temporary) discussion forum for us to collect and refine the ideas that will add punch to our comments. We plan to issue a comment on behalf of C.c's 11,000+ membership, but individual comments are also very helpful. If you plan to send a private comment, that's excellent. Please click into the "lead threads" and use anything there as you write your comments.

Our goal is to swamp EPA with unhappy, but factual, objections to a regulation that would ban lead fishing tackle.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
    You might also comment on your state boards to spread the word to those not checking the main board.
    Excellent suggestion. Invite everyone in your state boards to take a look at the special (temporary) discussion forum on this important topic. Time is short. The comment period ends in 12 days.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
    I was tipped off to this by an e-mail from Cabela's.

Thought it should be broadcast.

Keep America Fishing

It short, "the Center for Biological Diversity and four other organizations [have petitioned the EPA] to ban all lead in fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Control Act. This includes sinkers, jigs, weighted fly line, and components that contain lead such as brass and ballast in a wide variety of lures, including spinners, stick baits and more."

This is to protect waterfowl, according to the petition. But it doesn't address the larger threat of shoreline development, nor does it consider the increased expense to fishermen and women.

Fortunately, it's open to public comment until September 15th.

Please visit the site by clicking on the link above and reading more there, then commenting to the EPA. Should only take a few minutes.

Good fishing, all!
    THE GOVERMENT IS DISTROYING THE REMODELING AND PAINTING INDUSTRY.......

with lead paint restrictions. In this economy, how many more problems do we have more important than lead in paint 35 years ago and NOW the concern about lead in our fishing lures. How about jobs, home foreclosures and a cure for Cancer. But NO. Our goverment is concerned with lead. Just wanting to vent a little. Thanks for listening.
    Capt.C........Life's short. Be a friend. Eat good. Have fun and fish hard!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    EPA dropped 95% of this proposal when the NRA asserted that ammo falls under the Second Amendment's right to bear arms.
    THANK GOD FOR THE N.R.A. ............now hopefully the rest of the fishing folks can shut down the rest of these clowns ideas......

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

I am 72 with a few years left to fish. My question is, "This is the first time that I remeber that my past time (fishing) and love of outdoors is threatened by a group of do gooders with little negative data, decide to remove the basic component of many fishing lures. Is it not time that the fishing industry become another NRA?"

They are not going to stop me, but what about all the kids we are teaching to fish. Heck, we may as well encourage them to spend time on the streets or become a gang member. In case you don't know it, a criminals has more rights that you or I.

The industry has got to get off their butts and begin planning ahead. I would not be against a donation fee collected on all fishing tackle I buy and these funds go toward fighing things like this. NRA does donation's, why not us?

Just my two cents. Let's not talk about it, let's plan on doing something. The postage stamp is very powerful. Lets us it and email.

Sorry to have vented, but nobody screws with my fishing.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckauten View Post
    Is it not time that the fishing industry become another NRA?"
    It's sad that we all have to join special interest groups in order to defend our freedoms. Unfortunately, that's what we've become.

NRA is the big gorilla of special interest organizations for sportsmen. In addition to loyal members and good funding, it has the unique advantage of the Second Amendment. Although fishermen don't have our own Constitutional Amendment, we have bigger numbers.

If we're going to pour money into a watchdog and defender, what organizations are out there advocating for fishermen? Which of them have a track record of legislative and regulatory success?
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    It's sad that we all have to join special interest groups in order to defend our freedoms. Unfortunately, that's what we've become.

NRA is the big gorilla of special interest organizations for sportsmen. In addition to loyal members and good funding, it has the unique advantage of the Second Amendment. Although fishermen don't have our own Constitutional Amendment, we have bigger numbers.

If we're going to pour money into a watchdog and defender, what organizations are out there advocating for fishermen? Which of them have a track record of legislative and regulatory success?
    Well for a good start go to the first post and click on the keep America Fishing site and start there, I also got Email from Cabelas and have found them to be very accurate on their info as I also belong to a Great Lakes fishing site which also keeps a watch on this stuff. Yes U had all better start joining a special interest site if u want to keep fishing as there a groups with big $$ that think all fishing, hunting, etc just should not be allowed, period.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

This is the address where you can submit comment, click on "show details". I just posted my comment, no other info

Regulations.gov