Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Newbie and Lake Hartwell

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Newbie and Lake Hartwell

O.K. Guys-
    I'm totally new to crappie fishing. When I say new, I've never been crappie fishing but this site has got me fired up! I mainly fish Hartwell (Tugaloo to be more specific) for hybrids/stripers and occasionally Lanier but I'm wanting to start buying some crappie gear and give it a try. I've got a 17' aluminum Lowe with a 50hp johnson and a pretty good 12/24 trolling motor. Additional gear on the boat includes: Eagle FishElite 640c on the dash, Lowrance Mark
    5X Pro on the trolling motor, 4 driftmaster duo pros (2 mounted on each side), and a 25 gallon insulated bait tank. All my tackle is geared towards striper fishing with the exception of 2 Bass Pro 5' or 6' (not sure) ultra lite rod/reel combos my two sons use for catching bream in our family pond.

What should be at the top of the list as far as gear? Also, what is the fall/winter fishing like on Hartwell? I've talked with a good friend of mine who crappie fishes on Lanier a lot and he tells me I have to learn how to shoot docks before he'll take me. He says I need to be able to hit a 5 gallon bucket every time from 30 ft. away. However, I'm wanting to learn to crappie fish so I can take my two boys (9 and 4) so I'm leaning more towards live bait.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

welcom to the site cocdawg. don`t know anything about hartwell . i fish so. ga. lake blacksher mostley.
    i just started shooting docks last year . most like the open reels but i like the closefaced with the under trigger spin. less tangles from loose line . it does take pratic but will be a good summer tine and fall tatick .check out this site . he is the dockshooting expert .also do some searching on some old post and git a few copies of crappie world magazine . if you can aford a guide git intuch with DI that is on this site he is a good guide on clarck hill and probabley hartwell .keep us posted on your progress and post some picks .
    MidWest Crappie TV Show and Guide Service
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Dock shooting is an excellent way of catching crappie. But I mainly troll for crappie. It doesn't take the skill that dock shooting does as far as getting the bait to the fish, but there is an awful lot involved in knowing how deep to fish, how fast to troll, the water depth they are holding in, etc...I am set up for trolling but I can convert over to dock shooting in just a matter of minutes. Which ever way you decide to go, I think the first thing I would invest in would be a trolling motor with Auto Pilot on it or the I-Pilot by Minn Kota...That will be the most important thing to making the fishing trips less stressful.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard! I agree the Auto Pilot/I-pilot MinnKota trolling motor will be money well spent for crappie fishing as well as stripers. So many ways this motor and addons take a lot of the "work" out of fishing. I haven't fished Hartwell myself yet, but can see a trip up there coming soon.

Longline trolling, pushing (spider-rigging slow trolling off the front), and dock shooting are all very effective methods. Some folks do better all year at certain ways and some folks switch up during different times of year. Since you already fish for stripers and have a large bait tank, you probably would do very good at pushing. A simple rig is to use a #2 lightwire hook tied on 18" leader of 6# that is tied to a small swivel. The other end of the swivel is then tied to your main line after adding a 1/2 oz barrel weight to the main line. You can add a small bead to the main line to protect the knot if you like. Use a large minnow on the #2 hook and hover over structure holding fish while trying to keep your bait close to the structure. Use the trolling motor to "creep" around to other structure or to catch suspended fish too. You can substitute the #2 hook for a jig of your color choice and still add the minnow. You can also add a 2nd hook/bait above the barrel weight using a loop knot to increase bait presentation and cover more water. Use those rodholders you already have and just adjust the left/right to spread out the rods to avoid tangles and cover more water.

There are some great rod holder/rack systems available from Hi-Tek that can be used for pushing or longline trolling. Longer rods help with covering more water and avoiding tangles. Check out the B'n'M Pro Staff trolling rods. I use everything from 16' to 8' and in between depending on what the presentation is.

Lot of much better crappie fishermen on here than I am, and I am sure they will be happy to help you out. Use the "search" function in the blue toolbar in the upper part of the page and you can spend hours reading up on different ways including pulling crank baits! Good luck and look forward to you posting some reports of what did or didn't work and ofcourse some pics too.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board. I've fished both Hartwell and Lanier and still haven't mastered dock shooting. It is definitely a helpful tool to have on Lainer with all the old enclosed docks. As far as gettin your boys out and doin some live bait fishin, I reccomend hittin Thompson Cr. on Lanier and Paynes Creek at Hartwell. Both have submerged brush placed by fisherman and lots of blow downs to float a minnow past. As far as gear goes, I've got no reccomendations I'm always tryin new stuff! Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I will be coming to families house between eastonolee and Lavonia. Where is a good a good place to shore fish for crappie. I have no boat, which sucks. I will have about five days to fish. I like to fish docks if I can, If peo ple know of any where I can fish. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sooners08 View Post
    I will be coming to families house between eastonolee and Lavonia. Where is a good a good place to shore fish for crappie. I have no boat, which sucks. I will have about five days to fish. I like to fish docks if I can, If peo ple know of any where I can fish. Thanks

Good luck with the bank fishing except around the bridges I would guess. May get more help from the SC board. Not many GA posters on Hartwell. I know the lake levels were low at one time, may want to check them too.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Shine Runner;2415539]Good luck with the bank fishing except around the bridges I would guess. May get more help from the SC board. Not many GA posters on Hartwell. I know the lake levels were low at one time, may want to check them too.[/QUOTE
    Thanks. Hopefully my luck turns. Lake level is normal last time I checked.