Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Whiter Teeth - Scam Warning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whiter Teeth - Scam Warning

We've all seen the ads pop up at various websites;

"Tulsa Mom discovers how to whiten teeth" or "Canadian Mom.........or Broken Bow Mom".

(Whatever area the website phishes from your computer will automatically be used in the ad)

It's a big scam. They say the info is free, but they request a credit card number and then they charge your card. Then they charge it again.............and again..........and again.

These crooks are based out Alberta, Canada so there isn't much local authorities can do and if they get your money, kiss it goodbye. Better Business Bureua has had over 1200 complaints lately over this scam and they recommend ignoring it and make sure you don't hand out your cc number.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate internet scammers. The worst for me is the craigslist scammers. I sell quite a bit of stuff on Craigslist and the worst one is the people who want to pay you with a cashiers check and have their "movers" come get the product for you. For example, I was selling our couch on craigslist for $500. This dude from Georgia said he would send me a Cashiers Check and then he would have a moving company come get the stuff. Well he really sent me a cashiers check, except it was for the amount of $2200 from California with a different name on it. When I emailed him about this he said that I could cash it and keep $500 for the couch plus another $200 for my troubles and then send the rest back to him so he could pay his "movers". I immediately contacted Craigslist about this and they notified me that this was an ongoing problem that they have had. That was my first Craigslist listing but I had several similar offers after that while listing some more products. I also get replies to my listing that say "hey, are you selling this to make ends meet, if so click here to make $10,000 a week by doing nothing from the comfort of your own home"

Be careful when selling on Craigslist, it isnt very regulated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieThug View Post
    I hate internet scammers. The worst for me is the craigslist scammers. I sell quite a bit of stuff on Craigslist and the worst one is the people who want to pay you with a cashiers check and have their "movers" come get the product for you. For example, I was selling our couch on craigslist for $500. This dude from Georgia said he would send me a Cashiers Check and then he would have a moving company come get the stuff. Well he really sent me a cashiers check, except it was for the amount of $2200 from California with a different name on it. When I emailed him about this he said that I could cash it and keep $500 for the couch plus another $200 for my troubles and then send the rest back to him so he could pay his "movers". I immediately contacted Craigslist about this and they notified me that this was an ongoing problem that they have had. That was my first Craigslist listing but I had several similar offers after that while listing some more products. I also get replies to my listing that say "hey, are you selling this to make ends meet, if so click here to make $10,000 a week by doing nothing from the comfort of your own home"

Be careful when selling on Craigslist, it isnt very regulated.

I get those same replies...very iratating!!
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

There's always someone looking to take someone else's money. I'm assuming that craigslist scam is some sort of stolen cashier's check or fake cashier's check scheme. I'm buying a really expensive item off of there and having to have a family friend meet with the person at a 3rd party establsihment to appraise the item and exchagne the check for the item... he was really leary about the whole thing until i told him we could do face to face with a family friend in a public place.... I can see why now.

FYI they aren't phishing any info from your computer to find out what area you are from... all computers give their IP address to the webservers when you open up content... then they take that IP address and compare it to a database and find out your general area and tailor the text in those ads to make you think its local... its sneaky but they aren't using any info that isn't readily availabel to any website you visit.
    -Damon

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah they are getting smarter nowadays. Thats why you always see the message say. Hey I'm from TULSA and I seen you ad.................

The dead giveaway is the word Tulsa is in all Caps like it was auto-filled by some program.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey CT, the name of the city is capitalized to catch your attention, not because some program filled it in, even though it did...lol

I make my living by Internet Marketing and it's mind boggling what some of these people bring down each month (some individuals bring down figures in the high 5's and into 6 figures per month). For a lot of these people, they don't care how they make that money as long as they get it.

It's truly amazing how far outside the box some of the people go to find ways to peddle their goods to the masses...or to steal from them. Not that these ways are all bad, but some go over the line. Many can't resist the lure of the big bucks to be made.

And it's not just the little websites that can get you into trouble. Some of the most well known sites out there run programs or scripts behind the scene that would blow your mind if you could see what they do.

This is one reason why I try to never buy anything online except with my PayPal debit card. I use the card only for online purchases and nothing else. It is never tied to any of my other accounts and I always keep a low balance in there. You should never use your credit card or a debit card, if a breech of security will pose a threat to your private records.

I don't care which website it is, it can be hacked.

Oh, and don't think your high dollar security software on your computer will protect you. Because within a few days of an update being released to deal with a previous threat, someone, somewhere has already figured out how to defeat it and create a new threat.

I often tell my Wife that if I had no conscious and didn't have live with myself, we could own our own island in the Caribbean.

Post Thanks / Like

There is also a credit card internet scam that has been making a lot of money for the perpetrators. They get CC numbers and use very small amounts..like 0.70, 1.25 or 5.00. They know most people won't check those small amounts. The feds were talking about it and how much money those people made. The still don't know who is doing it.
    Peke