Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: moon phase fishing (full on 6/26)

Post Thanks / Like

Default moon phase fishing (full on 6/26)

I have been doing a little reading on how the moon phase along with moon rise and moon set relate to how fish feed. It seems that the general consensous is that fish feed more activly within the 90 minutes surrounding sunrise, sunset and moon rise and moon set. Furthar more, it appears that a new moon or full moon also seem to triggger active feeding.

That being said, according to timeanddate.com there should be some excellant fishing opportunities on Saturday, June26th between around 5am - 7:30am. The sun rise is at 5:54am, the moonsets at 5:54am, and the moon will be full at 6:31am. (Kansas City)

Anyone have any expierinace with this that would be willing to share their beliefs or disbeliefs??
    look me up on facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=1491513101

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you should be able to wear them out Saturday morning eh!... but if you'll look at the solunar table, the major feeding time is from 11:58 am to 1:58 pm in the middle of the day.

This will be an excellent opportunity for reservoir fishermen around here. They don't start pulling water through the dams until about noon to help with the power supply from everyone running their air conditioners, and when the major feeding time coincides with the turning on of the water you can load the boat!

Good luck to you on Saturday, but don't go home too early!

Post Thanks / Like

the only time i pay any attention to moon phases is with bream fishing
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Rubbish, people get paid to write that stuff but I don't get paid to read it. I have never able to detect any difference that the moon may make in the bite. The sun does but not the moon. The environment that the fish is in determines the bite, not the calender or moon or planet alignment. Sunrise and sunset are very good times to fish, or more accurately, from daylight until the sunlight hits the water in the morning and the reverse in the evening.
    Many times the crappie bite stops when the sunlight in on the water. If a cloud come along and temporarily shades the water the bite is on until the cloud passes and the light is on the water again. Passing clouds are like an on/off switch for the crappie bite at times. So, watch the conditions where you fish and forget the lunar tables and astrological signs.

Post Thanks / Like

well I usually go fishing arround 9 in the morning, get to the lake arround 10:15 and fish till I get tires 2ish moon up or down, sun shining or not, catch lots of fish day in day out. so don't really know if the moon is a big cause and effect to me. but JR you gave a good read for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of those solunar calenders this year and its been pretty close so far. I've got lots of squirrels on my place and I noticed that if the squirrels are active the fish are bitein. It seems that the limb rats forage more when the solunar table says its an active time. Take it with a grain of salt but has me convinced.
    I'm having an "out of money" experience. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

sunrise, and sunset are the best times to fish but on days when it is partly to mostly cloud and a cloud passes over the sun is a great time to fish as well. I have been fishing on days like that and couldn't catch a fish until a cloud passed by but when it did you would catch several fish. I have really only noticed the clouds having an impact on crappie fishing though. for bream i follow the full moon.