Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: eaiser plastic cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Default eaiser plastic cutter

Hello, new to this site. Have been pouring soft plastics for 3 years now, bass and crappiefor 2.
    Made my cutter similair to snake river but i clamped blades together, then lightly super glued the top of blades. Next, take some liquid steel and mold a block into top and edges of blades to bond them. Makes a nice hitting block, to futher enchance this, take a block of wood and bond this to surface of liquid steel for even better hitting surface. Hit mine with a rubber mallet.
    Also found that keeping blades and bait lubed is very good. If blades are not clean and dry after extended non-use periods, they will rust.
    I usually split my baits in half first as this keeps the plastic from bunching up to high in cutter and then tearing up as you pull then out
    Great site.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard kdad, glad you joined us here. Your input will be welcome and thanks for your post . Good info.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdad View Post
    Hello, new to this site. Have been pouring soft plastics for 3 years now, bass and crappiefor 2.
    Made my cutter similair to snake river but i clamped blades together, then lightly super glued the top of blades. Next, take some liquid steel and mold a block into top and edges of blades to bond them. Makes a nice hitting block, to futher enchance this, take a block of wood and bond this to surface of liquid steel for even better hitting surface. Hit mine with a rubber mallet.
    Also found that keeping blades and bait lubed is very good. If blades are not clean and dry after extended non-use periods, they will rust.
    I usually split my baits in half first as this keeps the plastic from bunching up to high in cutter and then tearing up as you pull then out
    Great site.
    welcome your ideal on the cutter is very good look to hear more from you I would like to see some of your plastics.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see some of your plastics as well. I had an idea on a cutter but may not need it now. Once I order that new mold I wont have to worry about it. I will however need a cutter I guess for my other mold that does not cut the tails.

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    I would love to see some of your plastics as well. I had an idea on a cutter but may not need it now. Once I order that new mold I wont have to worry about it. I will however need a cutter I guess for my other mold that does not cut the tails.
    is there too much rubber that you cannot not pull them apart. Can you take a
    cutter and steel cut them. Or would that make a bigger mess. You may want him to make a size bigger on the rods that fit inside the mold.if you cannot get him to make a hair bigger sin them to other machine is I'm sure that they can make it a hair bigger than it will work.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

The core pins have already been ground too much. I have a round roller that is real small that you get in the sewing department that looks like a small pizza cutter. I think I can use it and cut them while they are still on the grooved core pins. I have not tried it yet but I am almost certain it will work. I might go ahead and make the other cutter. I do have another guy making me a huge tube mold, it will not have precut tails so I will need a cutter for that anyway

Post Thanks / Like

The core pins have already been ground too much. I have a round roller that is real small that you get in the sewing department that looks like a small pizza cutter. I think I can use it and cut them while they are still on the grooved core pins. I have not tried it yet but I am almost certain it will work. I might go ahead and make the other cutter. I do have another guy making me a huge tube mold, it will not have precut tails so I will need a cutter for that anyway
    the cutter I made up with the blades works really fine we should be getting my cutter any day now the commercial one.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

The cutter i mentioned, works well for crappie jigs. For larger tubes, ie bass, I used the long scraper blades in wal-mart. With these, i used approraite shims between each blade then begin gule,ls,etc. Also, with these blades, you can place a screw or bolt through them after superglue to give more support for liquid steel. Used 15 blades for mine. Not much on doing pictures on puter but i,ll see what i can do. This type cutter for larger tubes takes some time to get right but works extremly well for larger tubes on a small personal baices