Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crabbie Cakes-MARYLAND STYLE

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crabbie Cakes-MARYLAND STYLE

I take some big crappie filets and BOIL them with crab boil (this can be done the day before as the meat MUST be cool). I strain the water away using a very fine sive (to save all the meat). I then went to GOOGLE and typed in Maryland Crab Cakes (make sure it's one that calls for some green onion). I got a receipe for one, got it all together and where it called for X pounds of crab meat I placed in X pounds of the boild crappie. We made the cakes, sauteed them in butter and OH MY GOSH people went nuts.

Here's one I've used before:

1 egg yolk
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1 pound Maryland jumbo lump crab meat
    1/2 Cup Chopped Green onion
    1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs (if desired)

Preheat the broiler.
    In a large bowl, combine the egg yolk, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire, green onion, mayonnaise, and parsley. Then, gently fold in crabmeat (be careful not to break up the lumps, here you will be adding in the CHILLED crappie). Sprinkle on bread crumbs and lightly mix. Shape into cakes and broil for 5 minutes. Or sautee in pan with butter. Sometimes make them silver dollar sized for apps.

ONCE YOU TRY THIS A FEW TIMES, IT'S EASIER TO MAKE. BOILING THE FISH THE DAY BEFORE CUTS THE WORK IN HALF. ADJUST THE INGRIDENTS TO YOUR TASTE. ADD OR OMIT ANYTHING YOU LIKE.

Post Thanks / Like

Just tried this tonight. It was pretty good if I have to say so myself! It was a little tricky making the cakes stick together, but I added bread crumbs to the mix and then squished them into a patty on the tin foil before I broiled them (I use the Reynolds non-stick aluminum foil.) This recipe is much easier and, in my opinion, much better than the cream cheese recipe that was posted- mine came out too hot, but I used Frank's hot sauce instead of the Crystal hot sauce.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried this one last week. I, too, baked instead of boiled the fish. I also added cayenne pepper to add some more kick. Helluvah recipe! And they're even better leftover!
    Likes Broncosfantulsa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a tasty recipe...gonna have to try it soon....gotta catch a couple slabs first !
    Duane

SpurHunter Guest

Thanks for posting this! I will be trying it soon!

Post Thanks / Like

This looks awfully tasty. Does it work with other fish? I don't know why it wouldn't. My oldest son likes to jug fish in an old river lake a few times a year, and the catfish sometimes are a little muddy tasting if he goes too late in the summer. I thought this recipe might be a good candidate for those.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been making these since sac first posted this. They're really good and a nice change too. The only additions I made are Old Bay seasoning and Tabasco sauce. Yum!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I'm glad everyone's enjoying these. I would think you can use any fish or meat that will take on the flavor of the crab boil while boiling the fish. THis makes it very moist an makes it easier for them to stick together. I LOVE MINE WITH BREAD CRUMBS. The only way I do this is boiling the fish in water first.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'm going to try it. I'll report when I do.

v92c Guest

I am very excited about this. Crabs arent as common in Texas I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay. Grandma's crab cakes were the best. I cant wait to try her recipe on Crappie!!!!!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast