Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankbait Retriever

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankbait Retriever

Yesterday I lost a couple more crankbaits, I need to get a retriever. Does anyone have a favorite "store bought" or willing to share a picture of a "home made" version.

Post Thanks / Like

I found one at Cabela's a few years ago that work great. It's about 5 feet long and extends to near 15 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellerqx View Post
    Yesterday I lost a couple more crankbaits, I need to get a retriever. Does anyone have a favorite "store bought" or willing to share a picture of a "home made" version.
    Just break them off and leave them down there, the fishing gods really like scarifices and will reward you heavily!

... but if you want to make the fishing gods mad, this one works well.

Cabela's Snagmaster

You can make it as long as you want for those deep runners.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a plug knocker that I bought at BPS years ago.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lure Retriever

The best lure retriever I have ever seen or used was the Hound Dog sold by Bass Pro Shops. I think they have replaced it with something similar though. E-Z Lure Retriever

This looks very similar except they have added chains. I have fished crankbaits all of my life and have never found anything better. It is also what the famous crankbait fisherman David Fritts uses.

Yadkin Guide

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yadkin Guide View Post
    The best lure retriever I have ever seen or used was the Hound Dog sold by Bass Pro Shops. I think they have replaced it with something similar though. E-Z Lure Retriever

This looks very similar except they have added chains. I have fished crankbaits all of my life and have never found anything better. It is also what the famous crankbait fisherman David Fritts uses.

Yadkin Guide
    Thats the one that I have...it works great.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Don't have any pics ....

Quote Originally Posted by kellerqx View Post
    ... but, I have a lure knocker that was hand made & sold at a local baitshop. I purchased it around 40yrs ago :p ... so needless to say, it's paid for itself many times over. I think I paid around $8 for it, back then.

It's basically a piece of SS pipe, filled with lead, and has a copper loop coming out the top (to tie a nylon line to) ... and a looped piece of wire coming out the sides, that you slip around your line. It came with short chains attached to the bottom circumference of the pipe, but I've had as much success with it without chains. It also came with 50' of nylon cord, wrapped around a piece of wood.

If you don't have the means to make one, yourself .... for the price of about 3-4 Bandit crankbaits ($15-$20) you can probably put a good system together. Get a Hound Dog Lure Retriever & one of those H shaped buoy markers. For that matter, a piece of "fun noodle" & a 50' piece of nylon cord would work. I've even seen people use a old levelwind reel on a rod handle

There's all kinds of products out there, and price ranges to match :p ... all depending on how sophisticated you want to get (& how deep of water you're likely to get snagged in).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Just get a heavy 'carabiner clip' a couple short pieces of light dog chain and some nylon rope.

Tie rope to the carabiner
    Run carabiner thru end link on the pieces of chain

When you get snagged just keep your line tight, snap the carabiner around your line and let it slide down to your lure. Sometimes the weight will knock your lure loose. If it doesn't then jig it up and down a few times and the chains should get snagged on the hooks. Then just pull it up. You'll prolly bend the hooks and have to replace them but they're cheaper than new lures.

I've heard of ppl attaching a big snap swivel to a sparkplug. When they get snagged they just snap the plug on their line and let it drop down to the lure to knock it loose. That's called a plug plug knocker ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Get you a gulf ball telescopic retriever, and clip/or fabricate the end as the letter C but clinced together tigther as in @______________== it's hard to find them anymore as they used to make them out of allum. and i believe it was allready cut! And very light not heavey by no mean's! But you have to consider water DEPT. as 15ft. Is close to it!
    works good at the foot and shallow's but in creek channel's as the fellar's said the Hound dog was one the first. just my oppoin!This year allready we,ve saved atleast $20.00 on 1/32's and up
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure the name of it, but you can get it at BPS and I have seen it several other places that carry fishing tackle. It looks just like a lead sinker maybe and ounce or two with a pig tail like wire on the top that you thread on your line. It only costs a couple bucks, and has broke me loose from more snags than anything I have ever tried.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast