Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishin' Report: Different Colors for Different Conditions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishin' Report: Different Colors for Different Conditions?

You bet!

Got out yesterday and the conditions were quite different than what I have been fishing. I've been fishing bright sunny days and the white and yellow of the Acid Rain grub and jig has been doing well.

Yesterday was different, it was cloudy and hazy with no blue in the sky. I had 6 different colors rigged on 6 rods to see what they were going to bite the best, and of course the Acid Rain was one of them... but I figured it was going to be a different color because of the conditions. This is what the sky looked like yesterday as I was posing with a trash fish.

I was figuring green and yellow or blue and yellow was going to work better but it didn't work out that way. It was the blue and white of the Weiss Lake Killer that worked the best and the fish were all over it like white on rice! I did keep an Acid Rain on in case the sun popped out and caught a few fish on it, but it was nothing like the WLK. Here's a pic of it.

I started fishing at 10 a.m. and the fish weren't biting until noon when the started pulling water through the dam (but I knew that was going to happen). Neely Henry lake fish are very current oriented. From noon until I quit fishing at 3 p.m. it was on and I was very busy just fishing the 3 rod limit long line trolling in 18-20' of water with a surface temp of 85*. I could have easily limited out if I'd kept all the 9 inchers and a little above... but I don't need 30 Crappie and don't really want to clean that many, so I kept these 11 nice ones for a dinner date.

Trolling speed was .8-1.0 mph and I was using a double rig with a 1/8 oz. in front and a 1/16 trailing.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

good catchin' pal.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 07-30-2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good day of fishing. Changing colors to find what the crappie want pays off and you caught some nice crappie. Congrats on your catch and thanks for the report.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess of fish

fatman

Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing about changing colors here on lake guntersville is this. Some of the areas here, the fish will consistantly hit the same colors no matter what the sky is like. People here key in on these few colors and think they hold true for every fishing spot. If they do not catch them on the one or two colors they move on. I have sometimes slipped right in where they caught nothing and catch my limit and then some.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like I do better with dark, black or deep purple, jigs on cloudy days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    The funny thing about changing colors here on lake guntersville is this. Some of the areas here, the fish will consistantly hit the same colors no matter what the sky is like. People here key in on these few colors and think they hold true for every fishing spot. If they do not catch them on the one or two colors they move on. I have sometimes slipped right in where they caught nothing and catch my limit and then some.
    Sounds like some folks I know and see on the board in different sections, they're addicted to black and chartreuse and will fish it religously and swear up and down that the fish just aren't biting if they don't catch anything on it.:rolleyes: I'll be the first one to admit that black and chartreuse is killer at certain times of the day and year... but not all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by blairarnold View Post
    Seems like I do better with dark, black or deep purple, jigs on cloudy days.
    Those colors will work here at dawn, dusk, and during the night here. Our water is clear but fertile right now, so that's a consideration too. Yesterday wasn't a dark cloudy day, it was cloudy and hazy without direct sunlight but still fairly bright.

The Neely Henry fish are current oriented fish, if they're not pulling water through the dam the fishing is slow. At this time of year they don't turn the turbines on until noon and turn them off at about 9 pm. The fish will feed heavily when they turn the water on and then again at dusk... and since I have to be home when the street lights come on, I'm confined to the noon o'clock bite.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Yep GCD, some people swear the fish are not there when they are. I just let them think that and then I have my fun when they leave.