Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: sand bass - Eufaula

Post Thanks / Like

Default sand bass - Eufaula

When do the sand bass start running? Last year I caught them feeding on shad right before dark. Fun for the kids and puts lots of fish in the freezer.

Peke

Post Thanks / Like

Right about now. You can catch them feeding early in the morning too. I have had luck near the bridge piers between the bank and the first bridge pier when there is a current runnin through. Sometime can catch them any time of the day when its real good. But as far as busting up on top of the water, I have noticed they do that primarily in morning and evening times, evening seems to be alot better though.

Post Thanks / Like

It seemed that the sand bass did not do very well last year....I talked to several others who have places there and fish all summer and they had the same results....i have been catching quite a few on jigs while crappie fishing, but they are all dinks.......the hwy 9 bridge out of eufaula has always been a hot spot for me.....i have caught some monsters there using bandit crankbaits along with some nice largemouths.

Post Thanks / Like

do yall chase the birds when fishing for sandies or tie off to a bridge and night fish? im planning on going to eufala here in about a month or so and hopeing to get in to some crappie and some sandies or what is the best way to get in to the sandies when they are running ?
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default sand bass

Josh,

I'm just learning....but I'll share what little I know.

We sometimes troll for sand bass with spoons. We use Kastmaster or BPS 's cheaper version. On really hot days, it is a welcome breeze when trolling especially since we can't tie up under the bridges any more.

When sand bass are feeding on top of the water, look for the shad they are chasing. Sometimes you see the birds, but usually we just see the shad flipping. We just cast out in the middle of them with spoons or whatever. They will move within a few minutes. It is fun while it lasts. Kids love it. You catch a fish every time you cast.

Usually you'll see other boats hanging around watching for the shad. People make a half circle in their boats so everyone gets to fish. One time a guy drove his boat right in the middle of where people were casting. He scattered all the fish and tried to cast. Some other guys started casting towards his boat...the same place they were casting before he came. I think he got the message and he didn't get in the middle again.

Hope you find some!
    Peke

Post Thanks / Like

Across the water to the S-SW from where the Fountainhead Lodge used to be there are shallow flats. Be there early or late and you should get you some. Don't tell anybody though, it's my secret place.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default secret place

Scott S, my "secret" place is in the shallow water (is that called flats?) in one of the "triangle corners" of the 3 bridges. The Hwy 9, Hwy 9-A, and Hwy 69 triangle of bridges. Close to 9-A and Hwy 69 corner. This probably makes no sense to anyone until they get there and see the triangle.

Josh- correction. We don't use spoons....they are wedge shaped lures that we found in the "spoons" section at Bass Pro. Have no idea what they are called other than lures. Let me know if you want a picture of what we use.

I caught an enormous sand bass Saturday trolling. Twice the size I usually catch. We had to use a net to get it in. Usually just swing them up into the boat. It hit my pole so hard it was almost bent double. Lure was out about 80-90 feet behind the back of the boat. Took me a long time to get it to the boat. I never did get it up on top of the water which makes it easier to get in. Told my brother I wanted a picture of it, but he filleted it before I could get a picture.

Peke

Post Thanks / Like

Any depth, if it's continuous level and without slopes, ledges, channel, stick-ups, etc. it's a "flat". To me anyway.
    I know the area you are describing. Closer to the 9 - 9A intersection we once had two of the four lines we were trolling hang up, after a couple minutes of clearing the remaining lines and backing the boat in hopes of saving the snagged baits we realized our hang-ups were swimming away. The snag turned out to be huge twin sandies.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. I usually just think they are hung up because it is so shallow there.

Peke