Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankbaits

It sounds like Bandits is the best crankbait for trolling for crappie. Being a old LM Trashfish fisherman, I have alot of crankbaits, other than Bandits. What are some other manufacture and models that might have worked for you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler64 View Post
    It sounds like Bandits is the best crankbait for trolling for crappie. Being a old LM Trashfish fisherman, I have alot of crankbaits, other than Bandits. What are some other manufacture and models that might have worked for you guys.
    I tried some Number 5 Lindy Shadlings this past weekend for the first time. I was more than impressed with their performance vs the Bandit lures I had on. I started out with all Bandit and Strike King lures on and pulled through a school of crappie 4 times. By the 4th time the fish had evidently seen enough because I didn't catch a fish. I switched two of the Bandits over to the Shadlings and had two fish on in the first 5 minutes and continued to catch them on the Lindy lures after the bite had slowed on the Bandits. Moral of the story: Lindy makes a very natural looking bait designed for trolling that really shows off in clear water. Also make sure you have a variety of cranks in your tackle box. If 75% of everybody who pulls crankbaits uses Bandits then I want to be using something different. Fish become conditioned to certain lures and lure colors over time. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

the wally marshalls cranks arent bad, rapala x-raps work well, some of the bombers work well, storm wiggle warts, and some of the shad or glass raps have all worked for us, I cant remeber the names of some of em. I 2nd what abarkley says about having a good selection, but bandits usally work best for us. heres a pic of my non-bandit favorites. have a great rest of the week yall, God bless.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The Wally Marshall cranks are pretty good and a good buy when they are on sale.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the important things are 1) how deep they run and 2) what color they are.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

Default another question

Why don't the bass drill these crankbaits? and what is a good depth?

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Rapala SR-5's work good in shad colors.At least they do here in Arizona.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

They do!... but Green Trout are considered "trash" fish when Crappie fishin'... so they don't really count... you'll also have lots of other "by-catch" including Catfish and Stripers.

.. but you'll be able to release them alive and unharmed... quite the opposite of commercial netting!

Post Thanks / Like

what is a good depth?
    That depends on where you are and what time of year it is. Out here in SoCal/AZ the crappie in our reservoirs suspend and chase shad in the summer time. So you want to fish at or just above the depth the shad are at. 3ft, 6ft, and 12ft are common depths to find them. Light penetration is what makes the difference. Electronics helps to figure it out but you can experiment until you find the right depth.

Because they are scattered chasing shad, we tend to do more long line trolling pulling the lures than we do spider rigging pushing them. You move faster and cover more water. I tie a jig trailer about 8inches from the rear treble hook. The crankbait is used more for depth control than as a bait. But they do hit it. I have had times when I doubled, one on the crankbait and one on the jig.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

Turn your fishfinder sensitivity up until you can see the thermocline then experiment with different depths within or just above the thermocline until you start catching fish. Dont go deeper than the thermocline.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast