Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: minn kota

Post Thanks / Like

Default minn kota

will a 40# minn kota edge troll motor be enough for my 17 foot bass tracker??
    JawBreakerJigs.....Get U Some

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a 36# thrust on a 16' skiff and it wasnt enough...did OK until the wind blew and then it wasnt enough. My son has a 55# on a 17' tracker and it does the job even on a breezy day. On real windy days we dont fish. I'd look for something atleast 55# if I were you.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And variable speed. Set speed options don't work a lot of the time when trying to troll slow. My lowest speed is too fast for what I like to do.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I run a 70 on a 17 footer built just like your tracker and it does a good job. I use a 55 on the stern when I go to a TM only lake and it does a fair job. It would do much better on the bow tho.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

i got a good deal on a 40# minn kota and i hope it pulls my boat. Im not looking for speed just something to get me where im going.
    JawBreakerJigs.....Get U Some

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 48# on an 18' Tracker. Will push the boat over 2 mph easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Go for a 55# thrust at least. If you're fishing in any kind of current, speeds higher than 1/2, to maintain your position, will wear your battery (12V system) down in no time. Also, like has been already said, get the variable speed. It's a god-send, believe me!

I have a Minn Kota 3-X, 55# thrust variable on my stern. For me, it's quite adequate, but I'm only running in a 15' boat! If I had anything larger, I'd opt for a 24V system with a 70# thrust electric - with variable speed. You'll be glad you did.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 46# on a 17' Tracker and it wasn't quite enough, upgraded to a 55# with variable speed and it is sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

I've checked with MK and they told me they recommend 2 lbs thrust for each foot of boat. that being said, I have a 40# on my Crappie Master 17' and it does OK although it does struggle a bit in the wind. Over all I'm happy with it' it also has co-pilot on it.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe fisherman View Post
    I've checked with MK and they told me they recommend 2 lbs thrust for each foot of boat. that being said, I have a 40# on my Crappie Master 17' and it does OK although it does struggle a bit in the wind. Over all I'm happy with it' it also has co-pilot on it.
    I mentioned this before and got booooooed.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast