Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: spider rigging vs. longlining

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rigging vs. longlining

What are the advantages of longlining over spiderrigging. I have been pushing jigs all this year thanks to you crappie.com members. This site is really educational and I learned a lot. Pushing jigs has really neen working for me when the fish are not on the banks. Living in Ill. I run 4 12 FT. poles up front. and have to 8 ft. poles of the side with TNHOOKERS little planer boards.
    The question I have is when do you longline vs. pushing. I would think pushing is a lot easier,less chance of tangling lines when turning and if you stop for some reason like getting snagged. the other jigs will not fall to the bottom. Can anyone tell me when longlining would be more productive.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't spider rigged yet, but from what I understand... you cover more water quicker while long lining because of the greater boat speed.

You don't stop when you snag while long lining, that's when you have a "line and knot check":D... you either pull free or break off, or at least that's the way I do it.

Post Thanks / Like

How fast do you go longline. I was pushing at .8 to .9

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    How fast do you go longline. I was pushing at .8 to .9
    You are going to fast for spider rigging. Most of the time my speed will be closer to .02 and never over .05. You need to keep your line as vertical as you can.
    Long lining is the fast lane and spider rigging is the slow :D If you have a brush line you want to fish SR is the way to go and you can keep your bait a little above the brush.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I spider rig at 1.1 to 1.4 no problems
    my son is 12 and he can sit on front and handle 8 rods
    while my 9year old son and I long line 8 rods from back
    cb

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer spider rigging over long lining because you have better control over the depth being fished, and like you said you don't have to worry about all your jigs dropping to bottom and hanging up if you stop or slow down. Also, you can make much tighter turns, or even back up. You can easily spider rig at .8-1.2 mph to get good action on the jig tails, you simply need more lead to keep your lines close to vertical, not that they need to be vertical. Also in shallower depths I think SR has the advantage of presenting the lures to the fish prior to the boat passing over them. Just my $.02, each to his own.

Post Thanks / Like

It just goes to show you that there's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it!:D

Post Thanks / Like

I would think the biggest advantage to longlining would be when conditions are rough. It's hard to see a light bite with your poles bouncing up and down. I know with pulling cranks, they pretty much hook themselves. I've never longlined, but would think it would be much the same as pulling cranks.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

They do pretty much hook themselves when longlining.

How much weight are y'all spider rigging with when you're going 1.2 mph?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes FEELAY your right about the bouncing the jigs would also be jumping up and down, I didnt think about that. Thats why you guys on here are the best.

THANKS WILBUR

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast