Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roadrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Question Roadrunners

I'm curious, has anyone bought any of these lately? I've been using them for a lot of years myself, but the last batch I got, the blades barely move. I checked the swivels and they seem ok, just can't get any spin out of them unless I really speed up the retrieve. Have they changed the blades or something? I remember using them dead slow and getting some kind of blade action. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I'm curious, has anyone bought any of these lately? I've been using them for a lot of years myself, but the last batch I got, the blades barely move. I checked the swivels and they seem ok, just can't get any spin out of them unless I really speed up the retrieve. Have they changed the blades or something? I remember using them dead slow and getting some kind of blade action. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

don't know about the road runners but a few years ago all strike king spinner baits were made with sampo ball bearing swivels. now they are made with a cheap swivel because the sampos cost as much as the whole strike king spinner bait used to cost. a friend and i bought 250 strike king spinner baits that were on sale for 1.25 each. this has been probably 25 years ago so things have changed some. i still got some of those spinnerbaits in the packages. the new ones turn good but not like the sampo bearings. and i think we all know where the swivels come from now. look at where your baits are made now. even your big name brand baits. i'm sure the roadrunners are not as good as they once were.

you might try a blade one size bigger to see if it will turn better.

old

Post Thanks / Like

The last batch of roadrunners I got, the blades just fell off after a few runs. I thought it was a fluke, so I ran one close to the boat and there was very little action on the blades.

I was to lazy to find out why, I just stop using them early on. Crappie were killing the tubes anyway,

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

no help, just cant seem to get the hang of them road runners, think I have caught one crappie on a road runner in 100 trips. good luck on your search to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

I got some HH jigs from Satdoc on the MS board and the blades seem to turn just fine for me.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They run a bit heavier than I'm used to fishing with so I mostly use them when I troll. They work good, catch all species. Haven't had any blade issues. Flip flop back and forth was all I ever got anyway.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really thinking it's the components being used. I use to crawl Roadrunners over the bottom and absolutely kill the crappie and yellow perch. Especially early and late in the season. Now, I catch some on them but it's like fishing a plain marabou jig without the spinner. I'm amazed at how fast I have to retrieve them in order to get any kind of movement out of the blade!

Thanks for the suggestion to step the blade size. Worth a shot I suppose. But I think the problem is in the swivel.

Post Thanks / Like

SteveJ - who makes those and does BPS or Cabelas carry them? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    SteveJ - who makes those and does BPS or Cabelas carry them? Thanks.
    Go to the MS board and find satdoc1 and PM him. Just a guy on the MS board that makes a few and sells there.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Blakemore road runners and I also use some Sickle jigs with red sickle hooks that satdoc on the MS board makes. I like them.....they are my favorite lures for spider rigging (trolling).
    Last edited by "G"; 06-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast