Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair, feather, or Plastic?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hair, feather, or Plastic?

What kind of jig is your "Go to jig". Do you fish them the same? Why do you use what you use? Same retrieve? do you find that fish hold on a little longer with plastic? Which work better under a float and which work better with a twitching retrieve?
    I'm looking to spend this summer learning to work jigs for what ever kind of fish that willing to eat be it crappie bass gills or trout and need some pointers.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is feathers, but early spring or late winter it seems that the crappie do well on hair jigs like kip tails.

Spring I use marabou a lot and in summer I like hackle tails best I think. Fall is close to spring so I use both and sometime I do use hackle in spring, but since I use Roadrunners most of the time in spring, it's marabou.

One this for crappie, don't work the jig hardly at all and just jig it a very little most of the time.

I have a ton of soft plastics, but almost never use them and can't say why other than I just choose the feather tail jig. I know they work though and that should be said.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the plastic curly tails! The vibration and wiggling tail action is very attractive to crappie! Not saying hair and feathers don't have their place, but for trolling the hair and feather guys have to resort to a roadrunner type jig to give them the vibrations of the tail flapping. To me, the hair and feathers are a slower presentation of jigging or a stop and go retrieve so the hair and feathers can undulate.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking & now, for something completely different ....

My "go to" jig .... 1/16oz ballhead, weedless, w/#2 hook ... solid body tube or Panfish Assassin.

Do I fish them the same way ... most of my fishing is single pole casting/slow retrieve - casting to wood cover or shooting docks.

Why do I use what I use .... because it works :p - and due to the cover I'm usually fishing, weedless jigheads hang-up less often & solid body plastics stay on the jighead better/longer than hollow plastics.

Same retrieve .... yes, usually just cast & slow retrieve w/rod tip held at 10 o'clock position ... line running in slow arching trail from rod tip to water ... watching hi-vis line for any odd movement that I know I didn't cause.

Do fish hold plastics longer ... I don't wait to find out as I set the hook on ANY line movement that I know I, or the wind, didn't create.

Which work better under a float ... don't know, don't usually use a float.

Which work better "twitched" ... don't know, normally don't impart any extra action.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My go to jog is a 1/16 ounce. I use tube jigs, panfish assassins, BGBS, and stinger and curly tail jigs. These are some serious fish catching plastics. The only time I really do well on hair jigs is during the cold winter months. I generally fish them the same except the hair jigs I seem to catch more on them under a float.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use plastics: Crappie Thunder if vertical fishing or pitching across a brush pile, on 1/8th or 1/16th oz. Jig. If shooting docks I prefer Panfish Assassin-style lures. I also use a lighter jig (1/32nd or so) to shoot docks.

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic except cold winter then hair works better for me

Post Thanks / Like

Plastics, because they work. Why consider anything else?

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My go to catch all has been a 1/8 roundhead with a 2 sickle tied with grey and black kip tail.It catches anything worth keeping for me.I bounce them off the bottom slowly and also with a slip bobber in deep water.Very slow.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My go to one is char bou tail on a painted tube head. After that I would give a toss up between hackle or kip. That depends on water temp more than anything and whatever the fish tell me on that day. I tie my own so I always have lots of choices for them.

For Bream and Bluegills they seem to love my Pinmins tipped with a wax worm.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast