Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ETEC owner out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any ETEC owner out there?

Anyone running an Evinrude E-TEC on the back of there boat? Do you have any pros or cons on them? My grandpa run the heck out of a 30hp 70s model evinrude. A good buddy of mine is planning to repower a duck boat. Just wonder how good there reputation is in this modern 4s world we live in. Im trying to find him some info cause we think a tiller 2s would be lighter and better for duck hunting. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Default no problems

i have a 90 hp with a jet drive, 2007 model, no problems, no smoke, no fumes always starts good.have not done anything to it the three years i have ran it.very good in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a boat about 5-6 moths ago with a 115 Opti. I have to say I've been real impressed with it. No smoke, uses very little oil and gas. Runs real good. I don't think he would go wrong with a newer 2 stroke.

Post Thanks / Like

My mechanic said he thought etec's were a flop. Just what I've heard.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 4 on my duck boat but i use it mostly for fishing. for strictly fishing i absolutely love my 4 stroke (25 hp yammaha) but if i was duck hunting mostly i would definately have a 2 stroke for jumping logs running through timber because it is just so much lighter than the 4 stroke. go yamaha all the way.
    ADAPT OR DIE
    AND KEEP THE CHANGE-HANK JR.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2009 90 h.p. e-tec. on an 18 ft. bass boat. Love it so far. Starts on first turn even in winter. No maintenance for first 3 years. Very quiet running. Uses very little gas. No smoke or fumes. They recommend using the XD100 oil if you are going to run in the winter. I do that and have had zero problems so far. I think you will like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledouxmike View Post
    My mechanic said he thought etec's were a flop. Just what I've heard.
    Lots of "mechanics" for other brands say that. It amazes me how LA is so ate up with Jap outboards. I think he asked of those that actually ran one instead of who can dish crap about them.

The BIG dealer in my area was dead set on Merc and Yamaha until he started losing sales to dealers that carry Evinrude E-Tec's. Dealer took on Evinrude and sells lots of them. The service bay always has a silver looking motor getting worked on.

Opti and E-Tec all the way...the only American built outboards.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't really say, although I know that when E-tech's first came out they had a real bad problem blowing power heads. Buddy of mine has a fish-n-ski with a saltwater E-tech. The dealer installed a salt water addition because the white motor matched the boat better. He only had 35 hours on it when his head blew. He took it back for warranty repair and the dealer acted like it was the first time he ever heard of a power head blowing. You can google and see there were a lot of issues.

All that being said, I've read where there may have diagnosed what was causing the problem and it has since been corrected. Hear the newer E-techs aren't experiencing as much trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Etech = $$ saved. Sips fuel & oil. Starts when the key is turned the 1st time every time. Easy to flush. Plenty of power. I have a 60 hp 2008 Salt Water edition on a 18' Triton TS18. I run in fresh and salt water. The only difference in the Blue and White motor is the sticker on the white say Salt Water. 60 hp still gets 32 mph with a full load of people, gear & fuel. The fuel consumption has saved me at least enough to make 4 or 5 payments on this boat since I have had it. Unsure about the hours I have run so far, but the boat gets a work out a lot. Will buy another one on the next boat too.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 40 HP E-tec and love it. Running a monster prop(dealer put it on for me no idea size) an it pushes my 1860 SeaArk at 28.3 mph by myself.

I run XD-100 oil as well. Oil is $60 a gallon but you use less than if you ran conventional oil. And if you run low your motor will only run at 1000 rpm's and not allow you over run your engine.
    Also love have the extended tiller handle.
    Another plus is trim button is on the end of the tiller handle.

I hunt ducks as well and it starts everytime in the winter as well, even in below freezing weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast