Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Blackshear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blackshear

Been reading this site for a while but I thought I'd finally sign up.

My friend and I are headed to Blackshear in the morning and I was wondering if anyone could help us out. I don't really know anything about the lake other than I want to put in off of 280. From there I have no idea where to go and what's biting on what.

I'm interested in catching some crappie but I think my friend has bass fever so I'm going to have to cater to him a little bit. I don't really have the gear to go trolling right now though, slowly working my way up to that.

The best option I can think of for crappie right now is shooting docks, but I'm unsure of how successful that is down there right now. I've been seeing black/blue/chartreuse is working good so I've made sure to have some of those in the tackle box.

Any tips any one can give that would hopefully lead to a successful trip tomorrow?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bandobras welcom to the ga bord. crappie i think have mooved out of the shallow bedding area . infacr i don`t think they bedded in the shaloows like normal . think the bedded in the deeper water . the bass have beded but the males should still be guarding the nest or little frey . you might try for brem while he is bass fishing . if he fish shallow for them .for grappie i thing trolling would be thebest for crappie . good luck what ever you do .

papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome !

Bandobras, welcome to the board. wish you luck at blackshear. JimmyS

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board from Gray, Ga.. I cant help with Blackshear. Only been there twice. Each time was very windy and the fishing was tough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EARL KITCHENS View Post
    Welcome to the board from Gray, Ga.. I cant help with Blackshear. Only been there twice. Each time was very windy and the fishing was tough.
    Well the good thing about tomorrow is the wind should be really low, I'm tired of having to fight the wind here lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I got on the water a little after 8. At about 8:30, my trolling motor died. I mean DIED. So now I've got to get a new one. Didn't get a chance to check out any of the docks or anything, which is really irritating to me. I had a few choice words out on the water today

Anyway, anchored down under the west side of the 280 bridge for a while. Was there for a few min and caught a crappie that might have been a little bigger than a minnow. This was using a 1/16 oz Roadrunner Pro Head with a Kalin's Triple Threat Black/Blue/Chartruese. Ended up losing that jig on some rocks later and rigged on another Roadrunner (Colorado blade) and ended up catching a channel cat that was a little under 2 lbs. Cut her open awhile ago and she was full to the gills with roe so it's getting about that time up there I guess. That was about it.

A guy stopped by for a few min and said a friend of his had caught about 60 the other day fishing under the bridge. No word on tackle (or if it's actually true).

Went up and drifted around the Glory Hole area in some lily pads for a little while throwing a Black jighead with a lemon pepper Dip Stick from microspoons.com and a jig spinner. Hung something that felt big, before I knew it my line had snapped off. I only had 4lb test on that one...I was just screwing around for a few min. I know in my heart that was a huge bass and it got away from me....or maybe that's me just trying to make myself feel a little better.

Today ended with me troubleshooting my trolling motor and I think the motor is fried. Off to shop for a new one....looks like my trip to Blackshear was a little hard on the wallet today.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i should have went my self . some thunder storms went through just north and i am sure it had the river in a mess .so i didn`t go to the river . was afraid the lake would be rolling with skie boats and water lice. to hot to do much yard work . did git some don.
    retired and now i will always fish