Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I been meanin to fix that!!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I been meanin to fix that!!

I took my boat out Sat for the first time since I installed my new HB 788C and put my Lowrance 510C on the console from the trolling motor. I had put the 510C transducer where I had removed the transducer from my old Garmin 240. I was busy checking out all the bells and whistles on the 788 and trying to locate some redears and didn't notice water coming up thru the floor drain near the back raised deck. When I did notice, I had about a gallon in the floor but about 5 inches in the whole bilge! I had been meaning to replace the automatic switch on my bilge pump for some time and just hadn't got around to it. I flipped the manual switch for the bilge pump and let it run for several minutes to pump out the water. Every time I would shut it off after the bilge was dry, it would refill and I had to pump out several gallons again. This was starting to unnerve me and the redears weren't cooperating (Barkley is still high and very muddy) so I called it a day. When I trailered the boat and pulled up the ramp, I purposely left some water in the bilge so I could check for leaks. It didn't take long to find a good one, actually two. When I changed out transducers, the holes didn't match and I had failed to seal the old holes from the Garmin when I drilled the new ones. Tonight I removed every item that had been screwed down on the transom and put new marine grade sealer on every hole and screw. I'm also going to be installing a new float switch to replace the one not working.It's amazing how fast water can leaking into a boat from 2 small holes like that! Just another one of those "I been meanin to fix that" moments. Seems I have them more often as I get older!!!
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take but once. You wouldn't have done it if that hadn't have happened. Like we all do..
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same thing happen to me! It's amazing how much water will come in from just 1 little 1/8" diameter screw hole.:rolleyes:

It must shoot through that hole like pulling the trigger on a pressure washer!:p

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and buy one of those transducer mounting boards. It's a synthetic board which you screw to your transom once, then anytime you change transducers, you aren't drilling more holes in the boat, only the board. Next time you go to change transducers, put the old screws back in the holes with 3M 5200 sealant. Then get a mounting board and find the correct place on the transom to place it. Once you know where you want it, mark where the old screwheads keep it from mounting flush. Then counter sink into the mounting board where the screwheads were so the board fits flush. After you have it fitting properly, put a bead of 5200 around the outer edge and where the mounting screws are and install the board. Now you don't have to worry about a transom looking like swiss cheese.

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't these companies make a universal bracket or have a common pattern? It would be to there advantage for there stuff to fit over the other stuff. But of coarse.........
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a board like shellback suggested. Works great. At least you discovered the problem on a day that the fish were not cooperating.

Have fun.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    Do yourself a favor and buy one of those transducer mounting boards. It's a synthetic board which you screw to your transom once, then anytime you change transducers, you aren't drilling more holes in the boat, only the board. Next time you go to change transducers, put the old screws back in the holes with 3M 5200 sealant. Then get a mounting board and find the correct place on the transom to place it. Once you know where you want it, mark where the old screwheads keep it from mounting flush. Then counter sink into the mounting board where the screwheads were so the board fits flush. After you have it fitting properly, put a bead of 5200 around the outer edge and where the mounting screws are and install the board. Now you don't have to worry about a transom looking like swiss cheese.
    thats a good tip shellback. thanks. do you any pic you can post?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    Who sells the board?
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to the board Cabelas sells. The one pictured shows the largest one. I use the 4"x18". Cabela's Transducer Mounting Plates

Post Thanks / Like

I have a list of things to do on the boat, trailer, garage, poles, etc, etc, etc. :D
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!