Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thermocline Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thermocline Question

Summer is approaching and I have been reading about thermoclines and trying to figure them out. My question is how do you tell where the thermocline is in the lake? Is it just the area where the fish show up on the your graph? Would pleasure boater traffic not sometime push the fish below the thermocline during the day? Thanks ahead for the comments, still learning.
    nothing beats time on the water

Post Thanks / Like

In the summer the thermocline is about 20 ft. It's where the temp and oxygen makes themm feel most comfortable. But when the shad are moving that's where you will find them. At night is the best put a light on the water
    and wait about an hour whaen tha shad show up under the light the crappie aren't far behind you will catch them in 5ft in 30 ft of water.

Post Thanks / Like

that 20' would be dependent on your lake, location, air/water temps, etc.
    supposedly there is a way to find the thermocline using your fishfinder. I'd to know how?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

on the 500 series humminbirds, the thermocline will show up as a line of clutter suspended 10-30fow depending on where your thermocline is. If it doesnt show up on your current settings, turn your sensitivity up.
    i dont normally find one till the water temp is warm, upper 70's or more.

I wish i knew more about it(thermocline), Its such an important factor regarding fish.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link that explains it a little bit.

Sonar Tutorial - Water Temperature and Thermoclines

Finding the bait balls with the sonar is the easiest way for me, the fish will usually be just below them or on the outside of the bait ball at the same depth.

I like to fish the mouth of a creek in the heat of the summer because you can usually find a good concentration of bait there.

I've just started long line trolling this year, and while most people use it for a shallow water presentation... I am going to apply it to these suspended fish this summer with heavier jigs. I've already had success catching suspended Crappie in 20-25' of water while trolling jigs.

Last edited by GCD; 05-16-2010 at 06:20 AM.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    Here's a link that explains it a little bit.

Sonar Tutorial - Water Temperature and Thermoclines

Finding the bait balls with the sonar is the easiest way for me, the fish will usually be just below them or on the outside of the bait ball at the same depth.

I like to fish the mouth of a creek in the heat of the summer because you can usually find a good concentration of bait there.

I've just started long line trolling this year, and while most people use it for a shallow water presentation... I am going to apply it to these suspended fish this summer with heavier jigs. Crappie in 20-25' of water while trolling jigs.
    This is the only way I long line..Don't care for the traffic during the spawn..
    I still prefer dock shooting and casting over brush using the count down method.....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day