Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 5/2 "Grandson's Pond" report

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5/2 "Grandson's Pond" report

OK, not gonna say the real name, cause there are too many new folks fishing there nowadays - someone burned the spot at some point, so we'll just call it "Grandson's Pond".

So, not only does it warm up, but it gets downright summer like, making it not so easy to sleep!!! 5AM rolls around Sunday morning and I'm wide awake. The alarm is set for 7, but I shut it off and decide I'll start my little fishing trip early. Thunderstorms are in the forecast, so I want to try to boat as many crappie as I can before the sky gets dark. Got launched by 6:30. Well, the storms never happened, and it was the first time I've been on the pond this year with no wind - absolutely perfect weather for a quiet morning of fishing. Only one other boat on the pond until around 9:30, then they started coming in to where, when I left at 11, there were 8.

Starting out, I slow-trolled jigs across the pond to where I usually catch spawning crappie. No crappie in the deep water, they've finally moved in shallow. Water temp was 62° - and that also matches with my dogwood tree blooming (the ultimate crappie spawn indicator).

Caught a ton of small males in near shore on submerged wood, only a couple keepers, so I moved out a little bit, near the weed bed that is starting to come up in 3' of water and started getting larger females. Only kept fish over 10", and managed 21. I lost count sometime after 11, so when I thought I was getting close to my limit I called it a day. Pretty good guestimate, only being 4 shy of limiting out.

Baits of the day were orange/chart 2" squirmin squirt tubes and black/silver squirmin grubs (those are BPS brands)

Caught 5 incidental bass - in real shallow, so I'm thinking they're on beds already. 2 were of the barely legal variety, and 3 were in the neighborhood of 3 lb-ers.

On the way back to the launch, I tied on a Stanley Ribbit (yes I did bring along my baitcaster for some bassin' fun) and got two more 3lb-ers on the way back - love that topwater action!!!!

Sorry no pics, but every time I get ready to go fishing, and I go to get the rechargeable batteries from the charger, they've been taken and the dead ones not placed back in the charger!!!!

All-in-all, the best outing of the new season!!! Can't wait til the next time I have a few hours to spare so I can get back out again!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up sounds promising.....

wanted to hit the water this past weekend, but daughter fashion show and chance to meet few Pro Bowlers didn't allow it to happen Will definitely be hitting the water Thursday (5/6). Weather expected to be in the 80's again. Had serious rain here this morning. My father fished last Friday and caught 9 slabs, 3 yellow perch and 18 gills. Said the crappie weren't doing anything in his 'normal' spots until very late.

Vern