Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Line

What is everybodys thought on fishing line. Is there a cheaper line to use other than the Strens, Spiderwire, Ect. I have always used the cheap Shakespear lines and had good luck with it. This last year however It sucked. Way too much memory. Maybe I got some old line or something, but have decided to change and try something else. Let me know what ya'll think.

Post Thanks / Like

I like 10 lb hi vis gold stren. My partner uses 12 lb cajun red

Post Thanks / Like

ive always used 6# or 8# Trilene XL. ive had great luck with it. once in a while i switch to Stren clear blue. it seems to work just as good. i just recently respooled all my reels with Stren for this year. 4# on my ultra lites and 6# for the other reels.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6lb high VIS yellow by stren in all of my reels. I tried the 2lb diameter braided line by Pee-Line. It was 10lb braided line with 2lb mono diameter, I couln't wait to get that crap out of my reel. It kept wrapping it self around the last few eyes. It was doing this becasue I had a 12' rod and was fishing 16' deep, but the hi vis yellow never did that. I couldn't wait to get back to the old. I might use some braided line when the fish are shallow but for deep water I hated it. I tried the Cajun Red but couldn't see it all that well. I even tried the high dollar FLOROCARBON in 6lb but it so CLEAR you can't see it once it's even near the water. I didn't notice any difference in the fish catching numbers so once again I switched back to and now use ONLY Stren High VIS yellow in 6lb.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use Vanish. Its alittle smaller diameter. 6 lbs test
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

Post Thanks / Like

I use mainly 6 or 4lb test. I used to use trilene xl until I lived in TN for a while. Seemed like everyone was using Pline xxl copolymer line so I got one of my reels spooled up with 6 lb test. The copolymer totally outperformed the trilene I had been using. I used it all that year then I started doing some research into other copolymers. I found Sufix Promix. By far head and shoulders the best line I've ever used. I use 4lb and 6lb test line. It amazing that its difficult breaking the 6lb with your hands without hurting yourself. Abrasion resistance, low stretch, thin, limp and unless I have trimmed off so much that I have to respool I have never had to respool because of line deterioration. Its also inexpensive in the bulk spools. Have any of you that have used this line tried the new elite or siege lines by sufix. I can't find anywhere that its a copolymer like promix and it seems thicker. I'd appreciate some input from people who have used it. Especially the lighter lines.

http://www.bubbajackstackle.com/Sufi...ing%20Line.htm
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

right now im spooled with 6 lb mr crappie yellow line. I am also a big fan of stren yellow line. iv loaded my trolling reels with cajun red 6 lb. which i havent used yet. the line ive used most consistently in the past 30 years has been the stren hi visible yellow stuff. seems like ive had less trouble with that than any of it.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda on this subject, I have never used the hi-vis lines. In clearer water do you guys tie it to the hook or use clear leaders? I'm asking about during the day, I guess nightstalking would'nt make any difference or does it? Back to the subject, until you guys enlighten me (hehe) Stren or Trilene XL in 6 to 10 lb. depending on the conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using hi-viz line for about 4 years. I can't tell any difference in my catching fish, but I sure can see it better... I like hi-viz green or yellow best. Red is a little hard for me to see, it flows into the other colors and doesn't stand out, at lease to me...
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

I must say I get aggrevated to death with braided line. The only two things I like about it are the strength and the distance of the cast I get from it. I didnt realize how strong the crappie pro braided line actually was until I hooked a big fish about a week ago. I fought the fish for probably close to 15 minutes and never saw it. Sometimes I just had to hold my rod and keep pressure on it. I actually thought it was gonna break my rod. Finally the hook straightened completely out and the fish got away. I have very high respect for some of the Stren mono lines as far as strength goes, but I dont think any of them would have held up to that fish the way the braided line did. I suspect it was a huge catfish even though it didnt fight like one, or possibly a big buffalo. I will probably never buy another Trilene brand of line, just the most terrible line I ever used on several occasions with different spools. Stren hi-vis gold line is excellent as well as the Stren Xtra Strength. I've tried to use braided line with a minnow and float and it seems like it always wants to get knots or tangled. I just cant get a tangle or knot out of braided line and it really ticks me off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast