Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shell Crackers Are Bedding on Blackshear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shell Crackers Are Bedding on Blackshear

My wife and I were out of town this past weekend while my younger brother took our dad fishing. That little stinker found a huge shellcracker bed and they cought 35 huge crackers. Another boat close by landed 51. The crappie are still biting but I think I'm gonna go bream hunting Teusday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ragfly Jig Man View Post
    My wife and I were out of town this past weekend while my younger brother took our dad fishing. That little stinker found a huge shellcracker bed and they cought 35 huge crackers. Another boat close by landed 51. The crappie are still biting but I think I'm gonna go bream hunting Teusday.
    Let us see some pics. By the way, what type of structure to you look for when looking for shellcracker beds as opposed to bluegill beds???? I have never been able to find them there but have had success finding the big bluegill beds. And do you find the majority of the shellcrackers up the lake/river in the sloughs, etc? Thanks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

When I look for crackers I usualy look in the upper end. A good place to look for cracker beds is in Limestone Creek which is just north of Spring Creek on the right side. Also you can go into the area known by the locals as "Smokehouse". For me in these areas I "sight" fish. I have been in Limestone and you could actually see the crackers on bed up around the base of the cypress trees. Now there are cracker beds down lake also. A great place to look for them is around the Wolf Thick area which is just south of Cedar Creek on the left. I usually use a slip cork and fish the shallow sand flats and I use what is called "jumpers" or as some call them "pond worms". Hope this helps out my friend. Maybe we could hook up and I would be glad to show you these areas.

Post Thanks / Like

When I look for crackers I usualy look in the upper end. A good place to look for cracker beds is in Limestone Creek which is just north of Spring Creek on the right side. Also you can go into the area known by the locals as "Smokehouse". For me in these areas I "sight" fish. I have been in Limestone and you could actually see the crackers on bed up around the base of the cypress trees. Now there are cracker beds down lake also. A great place to look for them is around the Wolf Thick area which is just south of Cedar Creek on the left. I usually use a slip cork and fish the shallow sand flats and I use what is called "jumpers" or as some call them "pond worms". Hope this helps out my friend. Maybe we could hook up and I would be glad to show you these areas.
    Has anybody looked at the lake to see if its muddy since we got the rain over the weekend???

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShellCrappie View Post
    Let us see some pics. By the way, what type of structure to you look for when looking for shellcracker beds as opposed to bluegill beds???? I have never been able to find them there but have had success finding the big bluegill beds. And do you find the majority of the shellcrackers up the lake/river in the sloughs, etc? Thanks!!!!
    Shellcracker
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to hook up with you. I hope to be taking the wife next weekend as i am headed to clarks hill this weekend in search for shellcrackers and crappie. I too usually fish the upper end from smokehouse up above turkey creek. I will let you know if i can talk her into it and hopefully the crackers havent left the beds by then. This weekend thought should be the best of the year for the shellcrackers so hope to see some pics. I'll post my results from clarks hill. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rag You oughtta tie on one of those fine off-set jig heads you sent me, and thread yer worm like it were plastic, and bounce it through the bedding flats. Thanks for the fine jigs, they are working well. Great paint job! The off-set "slider type" are working well with c. tail grbs and swimmin minnow jigs. Bouncin' draggin ect.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like you need to get some light weight jigs in bright colors and wear them out....