Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fishing in march

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing in march

Hello from TN. I need some help. My son and I would like to come to MS. to fish around the third week of March. We live south of Nashville. Usually at this time of the year we go to Alabama but this time he said he would like to go to MS. The help I need is the best lake at that time of year to fish. We usually fish jigging or tightline or minnows under bobbers. We are not much into trolling. We would also need a camground on the lake since we usually turn this into a 3 generation thing with my father coming along also. I would really appreciate any help on this. I have been looking at Sardis and Grenada but don't know if the style I fish is suited for those lakes. Again any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Either Sardis or Grenada will work for you. I would suggest the Sardis lower lake. It's a little easier to deal with in the wind (and it will be windy), has a nice and underutilized campground you can stay at right on the lake, and my opinion is they usually start moving toward the bank a little earlier down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie ranger
    Hello from TN. I need some help. My son and I would like to come to MS. to fish around the third week of March. We live south of Nashville. Usually at this time of the year we go to Alabama but this time he said he would like to go to MS. The help I need is the best lake at that time of year to fish. We usually fish jigging or tightline or minnows under bobbers. We are not much into trolling. We would also need a camground on the lake since we usually turn this into a 3 generation thing with my father coming along also. I would really appreciate any help on this. I have been looking at Sardis and Grenada but don't know if the style I fish is suited for those lakes. Again any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    If you are looking for big crappie, your best bet will be Grenada over Sardis. Waxworm was right though, Sardis has the better camping although Grenada does have some. I fish all four of the I-55 lakes and my favorites are Grenada and Arkabutla. I live in Batesville which is in the center of the four. If I were you, I'd call the corps of engineers at Grenada Lake (662-226-5911) and ask about their campgrounds at Graysport and Gums Crossing. If the lake is above 205 by then, either will offer you short trips to a boat ramp and some of the best crappie fishing in this country. Grenada still holds Crappie USA's tournament weight record. I think it is 26 pounds (ten fish limit). Have a nice stay here in Mississippi.
    Last edited by cfsinc; 01-05-2006 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks so much

waxworm and cfsinc,

Thank you so much for the info. Still not sure which one I will go on but either way with my son it does not matter. We have a great time together just the same. Hope my father can make it. If you ever need help in the middle tn, Ky area let me know.