Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Watts Barr

Post Thanks / Like

Default Watts Barr

I am going to Watts Barr for a short trip in Jan and then for the whole summer this year. Could some of you who have experience on that lake give me an idea what to expect as far as crappie numbers and size? I live on Chautauqua lake in NY. It used to be the best crappie lake in the north east. 10 yrs ago I had many 300 fish days (catch and release) and would usually get a couple over 2 lbs on days like that with lots between 1 and 2. Every year I even caught a few over 3lbs, but they overstocked the walleye and muskie in the lake and they ate several years worth of crappie fry and now its hard to have a good day of crappie fishing there. I'm itching to catch some 2+ lb crappie again and need an idea where to fish Watts Barr. I have done some crappie fishing in Melton Hill, Tellico, and Fort Louden around Knoxville and caught some nice fish, but not very good numbers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to be in the Spring City area around Morris Island.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

There are several on here that can give you good information about Watts Bar. I've fished it several times and have caught some nice fish. There is Don at Edens and Killer that live there. Don G and Crappie Pappy fish it more than I do. I feel sure that theyll help you out. I always enjoyed fishing the Bar. You'll need to learn how to shoot docks..

Have fun and enjoy
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I went out shooting dock is getting hard to do. There is little to no water under them. Thanks TVA!! They have moved out a little deeper I was told to about 15-25" deep. Maybe that will help some. Killer is the best bet on the Bar he get to fish it more than most of us do. Give him a shout if you want to know the latest on the lake condition.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Grizz ...

Send a PM to DonG (Don Gridley)... Killer (Ken Palmer) ... Don@Eden (Don York) and ask them for current info on WB.

Fishin3 is right ... TVA has changed the water level (pool) schedules, in the last couple of years. That might make a big difference in fish location - and it will certainly make a difference in where you may have to launch.
    Early April into May is prime "dock shooting" time ... then again in Oct-Nov. Summer days can also be productive under docks, but it's more hit/miss then.

Crappie numbers and size are relative to the area in question. Size limit is 10" ... daily limit is 30. One pound fish are the "norm" ... and two pound fish are possible.
    The earliest I've fished WB is the first of April ... the latest (in Spring) is mid May ...... and I've caught good fish during that whole period. I've never fished it in Summer. But, been there many times in mid Oct to early Nov ... and caught some nice fish then, too. ......... luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pappy. I'll contact them and pick thier brains. I'm a great believer in doing my homework with the locals experts on a lake before I fish it.
    Good things come to those who bait.