Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new with a ? about spidder rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default new with a ? about spidder rigging

thanks for any help you might give. ive never tried this before, how do you rigg your poles . i have a 4 rod pole holder on the fronut and 4 pole holder on the rear of my boat would i be better off with both on the frount? whats the best speed,what size sinker,do you want the lines to hang straight down when trolling?i have a 14,12,and 4 ,10 footers will buy more, need your thoughts, again any advice would be helpful thanks !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try to tell you how I do it. I have my boat rigged with 8 holders in the front and 8 holders in the back. If I am fishing water 13 ft or less I use fiberglass poles 12 and 13 feet long with no reels. I put 6 lb test on them the length of the pole and use about 3 1/8th oz egg sinkers above a split shot about 20 inches from the jig. I like the lines to run about a 45 degree angle when trolling with them. If I get into water that is shallower I put a 2 inch oval float on the line to hold it from the bottom. If I am fishing deeper water than 13 feet or so I use poles with reels. I use 12, 13. 14. and 10 ft poles for this.
    As for speed I always try to find what they like. sometimes it is real slow and sometimes it is faster. I think if you are going to fish the eight poles by yourself I would move all of the holders to the front so you won't have to go from front to back and back to front when they are biting good. Good luck and let me know how it works.
    Jim Reynolds

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another prospective:

I fish 8 poles off the front. A second person can also fish 8 poles off the back. All my poles are 13'ers and I tie 1 oz bell sinker with one to two hooks on loop knots above the sinker. I"ll either use hooks with minnows or jigs (tipped with minnows). As far as speed...I'll move along at a pretty fast pace until I either start seeing fish on the graph or get bit. Maybe .4 to .5 mph. Once I see fish or get bit I'll slow down to just bumping the TM along up to @ .3 mph. Watch your graph and keep the bait in their eyes or slightly above the fish. If youre seeing bait balls try keeping your hooks at the depths where the bottom of the bait balls are since the crappie generally seem to hang out BELOW the bait. BTW, this is just the set-up I use for pre-spawn or post-spawn. When the fish are shallow I want a hook below the weight.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.