Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitchel 308 Or 310

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mitchel 308 Or 310

I'ver got 2 BNM FLOAT & FLY rods. I'm planning to use a single, double and tripple jig rig. What would be the best the 308 or 310?
    Thanks
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

i have 10 o the 310's and 8 of the 308's. I like the 308's better but id say its a matter of personal choice. I use the 308's on my 7 ft trolling rods and the 310's on my 9 ft ugly stick crappie rods i use for night stalkin. the line on the 310's tend to come off at times in big tangled wads. the smaller spool diameter reels are bad for doing that.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a reel that feels and works great, try the Mitchell Avocet
    AV-S500UL. These are great little reels and they retail for under $25.00.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

i went with 300's on my titeline rods because of the bigger spool...been very pleased with performance...lol

Post Thanks / Like

If using for crappie go with either one. If using for smallies go with the one with the best drag and biggest spool. JMHO.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback Guys:D
    Your a great help.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Fin ...

I put a Mitchell 308X on my Duckworth FnF rod. It was a toss-up between it and the Shimano Spirex 2000 or 1000. When I put the reel on, I did notice that the fit was pretty snug. So much so, that when I screwed the handle end cap down on the reel's foot .. it scraped some of the paint off of it. No biggie, though, as I'd already bought the reel. (just something to watch out for, if you take the rod to a tackle shop to compare different reels on)

The 308X seems to be a fine reel, so far ... and I like the large diameter spool on it. It would be fine for most any species of fish, with the proper line test. No kick against my Shimano Spirex's ... but, since I already had two, I figured I'd try another (cheaper) brand. Then, if I didn't like the 308X on the rod ... I could always switch it out with one of my Spirex's.

I also liked the flat handle pad on the 308X ... I really don't much care for the "barrel" type handle (like the 308X Gold has). And the 308X only weighs 8.9oz ... compared to the 11.1oz of the Gold - or 16.9oz of the 306X The Gold 308X has 10bb ... the 308X & 306X have 5bb. (the 310X has 5bb & weighs 7.2oz)

Do let us know what reels you put on the rods, and how you like the rods. .... luck2ya .....cp

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends upon how the rod and reel combo feels in your hand but if you are using the B n M on the special at crappie.com, the counter balance can be adjusted. I use 308X's on my pulling rods and like them a lot. I bought 2 Shimano Spirex 1000FE's to go on my B N M's. I haven't used them yet and I didn't notice they had a double handle, like a spin cast reel, until I received them. Not sure I will like that after fishing for so many years with single handle spinning reels. I prefer the reel to have a little weight to it if I am going to be casting with a long rod. In the case of the B n M I purchased them to winter time smallmouth fish with. The Shimano weighs 9.4 oz vs. 8.6 for the 308X and 7.2 for the 310X. BY comparison the smallest wally marshal crappie reels weighs only 5.4 oz. I like a lighter reel on a shorter rod, so I use those on 4-1/2 to 6-1/2 ft. rods, although they work fine on the longer rods. It is personal preference as to feel based on the type fishing.
    Either The 301X or the 308X will give excellent service.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Whiz ....

you won't even notice the double handles on the Spirex reels. Just put the thought of it out of your mind, and you'll get used to them, quick. You may even get to "prefer" using them ... esp if you are used to using baitcaster reels, at all. If you use PowerPro ... put half a spool of some old junk mono on it, first - then finish off the spool with the PowerPro (with a 1/4" of spool rim left showing). Put a 1/16oz jig on it, then make a few practice casts. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :D ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    I put a Mitchell 308X on my Duckworth FnF rod. It was a toss-up between it and the Shimano Spirex 2000 or 1000. When I put the reel on, I did notice that the fit was pretty snug. So much so, that when I screwed the handle end cap down on the reel's foot .. it scraped some of the paint off of it. No biggie, though, as I'd already bought the reel. (just something to watch out for, if you take the rod to a tackle shop to compare different reels on)

The 308X seems to be a fine reel, so far ... and I like the large diameter spool on it. It would be fine for most any species of fish, with the proper line test. No kick against my Shimano Spirex's ... but, since I already had two, I figured I'd try another (cheaper) brand. Then, if I didn't like the 308X on the rod ... I could always switch it out with one of my Spirex's.

I also liked the flat handle pad on the 308X ... I really don't much care for the "barrel" type handle (like the 308X Gold has). And the 308X only weighs 8.9oz ... compared to the 11.1oz of the Gold - or 16.9oz of the 306X The Gold 308X has 10bb ... the 308X & 306X have 5bb. (the 310X has 5bb & weighs 7.2oz)

Do let us know what reels you put on the rods, and how you like the rods. .... luck2ya .....cp

CP, I got a couple of the FnF rods and ready to buy a reel...It will be a Spirex, but can't decide on a 1000 or a 2000...I'm kind of leaning to the 2000, but wasn't sure. What's your preference on that rod. By the way, I love the rod, from what I've seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast