Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dock shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock shooting

I know that Crappie are supposed to go back deep after spawning, but I was wondering if you can still catch fish under the docks in the summer months. It seems like they would still hang under them in the dark shade. Would some of you that are more knowledgeable please enlighten me.
    Thanks,
    Kent

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught them under docks in the heat but I don't seem to catch fish under a dock with less than 8ft of water. Sometimes 6 or 7 will have fish if it is really dark under it. The best docks seem to have about 10 to 15 feet of water but how dark it is makes a big difference. Pontoon boats are killer to. Good luck, Wes

Post Thanks / Like

i still catch crappie under docks in the summer. i like docks in deep water (20 fow or more) in the summer.
    the crappie are just a lttle bit deeper tho. just remember with crappie nothing is for sure,,,lol.
    Got crappie?:D

Post Thanks / Like

Deep docks are great but I have had times when it was 90+ degrees and caught them under docks with only 3-5 ft of water. I think if they feel secure and not too uncomfortable they will stay there. And then at times you may fish 50 docks and not get any decent fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish are on docks all summer. Typically though, the temps and size of fish go in opposite directions. Hotter it gets, smaller the fish get. You can catch limits anytime from april-september on docks on Oconee and probably sinclair too but the size on avg wont be great after May. Biguns will start moving back up on em in October.

Also, as it gets hotter the fish will move on the docks. Right now you'll catch em right on top of the water or a 5-6 feet down. Once we get some consistent hot weather, the fish will go to the bottom and slowly move out from under the docks. In May, I catch nearly all my fish on the bottom out in front of the docks. Find one with some brush just in front of a dock and you can fill the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

YKK, when you going to this old guy and show him how to do it???

2@low8 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You may have gray hair, but you are not old yet Earl.

Quote Originally Posted by EARL KITCHENS View Post
    YKK, when you going to this old guy and show him how to do it???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I think? How are you?