Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bream?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bream?

I think I saw this somewhere but can't find it now. does anyone rig up for bream while trolling or hovering? Carol would rather eat bream than anything but I sure don't know anything about catching them except in the spring. Was thinking about maybe putting a worm or something on one of the dropper while crappie fishing and seeing how it went. Where are they now?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm with Carol

We fish for bluegill, longears and greens up here in Ohio. All the sunfish seem to have good firm meat.

How we fish for them depends on which lake we're fishing. The deep one with the flooded timber holds fish in that wood at 12-15 feet all year long. We ice fish there, too. in open water, we usually tie up to a tree and slowly feed line out (never losing contact with the line) to the right depth and jig or yo-yo a fly or tiny hook tipped with a waxworm or mealworm. If they're there, you get hit almost immediately. If not, adjust the depth a little up or down. This method really hones your "touch". We also pick them up trolling for something else, usually on a Roostertail. Our best fishing has been just before sunset when they come to the surface to feed on all the rising bugs. Then you just cast and retrieve or use a slip float set about a foot deep.

At the other lake we fish, we usually find them shallower in the weeds, under the overhanging trees, unless the water temp has really gotten hot. With them, we tie on a fly tipped with a waxie , set a bobber at about a foot and plunk it in or near the weeds. If you have a good muddy flat to fish, you can cast and retrieve a micro craw or frog or any other tiny jig over the flats can come up with fish.

Pick up the new issue of In-Fisherman. It has a couple of good articles on winter fishing for panfish. They recommend using a whole redworm in the winter instead of a piece like you might use in warmer weather. Good luck - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Carol is very smart, I'd rather eat them bream too

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie or bream, which is the best eating? Thank goodness I don't have to pick one or the other.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reelcrappie
    Crappie or bream, which is the best eating? Thank goodness I don't have to pick one or the other.
    We all know how good fired crappie are. I can tell ya the 6 or 8 limits of hand siazed bream I caught last spring didnt get left on the table very long. The wife kept wanting more since that isnt the "regular" fish we cook at my house.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Me my wife and my daughter will eat bream til we pop, but we wont eat any other fish. Well, my daughter will eat some crappie cause I slip them in on her and tell them they are bream. She says daddy these dont taste as good, what are they. I just say they are bream I just cooked them a little different lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto eating the bream first.
    Does it seem that if bait fishing, the bream will eat a worm first and a crappie will eat a minnow first......generally?
    ....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some nice one's I got into one day. There's a private lake here Named Lake Caroline in Madison, Mississippi which is a PREMIER bass fishery...Well I got to thinking if it were good for bass certainly the bream must be STUDS too.

This pic has some Red Ear's in there too. Each pick was taken on different trips. Oh and that's a QUARTER on the one fish. Just in case you're wondering.