Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: More about Night Stalking Winter Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default More about Night Stalking Winter Crappie

The question about night stalking winter crappie was just posted. I plan on conducting some stealth missions to sink structure during the night and heck while I'm there might as well try to fish. With our crazy weather (60 degrees by Sunday) our nighttime temps don't look to bad. Can somebody give me an idea of where to begin trying the technique so I don't waist a lot of time sitting by myself on a cold dark lake with a few lights shining into the water? Plus my wife may get suspicious if I start night fishing and end up not bringing any fish home if you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

HERE IN MISSOURI THEY ARE CATCHING CRAPPIE OFF OF RIVER CHANNELS
    NEXT TO BLUFFS ON POLE TIMBER DURING THE DAY. i'LL BET YOU COULD
    CATCH THEM THERE NIGHTSTALKING ALSO.

REGARDS
    CHEF

Post Thanks / Like

find yourself about 25 feet of water off a point and drop anchor and lights. If you don't get baitfish within 30 minutes, move. I've also been finding a lot of shad in the creek arms near where the channel runs close to a point lately.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of people around here tie up under bridges at night with lights hanging to light the area & do pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with bassadict69! Find a bridge if one is available and fish the piling closest to the creek channel. You should get baitfish rater quickly and the crappie should already be there.
    Good luck!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

If they are not there though, move around from one post to another til you find them. They should be there somewhere, just have to figure out the depth they are in at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case your going back home empty handed, you better stop by Food City and grab a couple slabs of flounder:D

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the good advice....especially about the back up plan of buying flounder. I'm gonna give it a try and will let ya'll know how I do.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try and kill 2 birds with one stone this weekend and take the wife to a buddys houseboat for new years eve. Thought I would carry a couple of batterys and starfires and a couple of shop lights. Then I can fish off the dock and still socialize. I just dont know at what point of the dock I will space them out. The dock goes from about 10 feet at the first slip to 45 at the last slip. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say somewhere in the middle gooch, about 25' I'd say. The ledge of the drop should produce more fish!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper