Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gas tank question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default gas tank question?

I have a new boat,G3 with a 150 4 stroke, i've noticed that i have a strong odor of gas when i open the compartments next to the gas tank which is plastic,is this normal? I keep the plug out to see if anything leaks onto the garage floor but so far nothing and the level seams the same in the tank?

FishHunter Guest

I have the same problem with my 2004 Triton. Checked all the fittings numerous times and everything was fine. I also have a Plastic Gas Tank. Till I can solve the problem I have been leaving the back hatch open during storage. I also get a fume build up in my Rod Locker so my concern is that my mono line will absorb the fumes & break down prematurely. Hope somebody out there has an answer. FishHunter

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check all your hose clamps. Especially if they are the metal type. If tightened too much, they can cause a crack (even in a new hose) in the hose which is hard to see. You shouldn't have a strong odor of gas. Something is leaking somewhere. Also be sure your vent is clear and goes to the outside of the boat.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

EAST TENN. DOUGLAS CHEROKEE LOUDON TELLICO WATTS BAR
    Post Thanks / Like

like ibnfshn said i would check my vents i have seen
    boats that are not vented to the outside of the hull
    if they are fairly new boats i wouldnt think you would
    have a leaking tank maybe a bad hose but i would bet
    it is the vent

Post Thanks / Like

I have had mine for a year now, and the smell hasnt gone away. I havent found anything leaking anywhere. I havent had trouble with my line breaking down prematurely either.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have access to the fuel gauge sender on top of the tank, check the screws for tightness. That's a big opening in the top of the tank, and has probably 8 to 12 screws holding it down. If there's a chance of anything leaking around the tank, that probably the most likely as the gasket might lose it's seal after being compressed awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    If you have access to the fuel gauge sender on top of the tank, check the screws for tightness. That's a big opening in the top of the tank, and has probably 8 to 12 screws holding it down. If there's a chance of anything leaking around the tank, that probably the most likely as the gasket might lose it's seal after being compressed awhile.
    That was my problem. I could'nt even see any leaks. I got in there and stood on my head sniffing around. Tightened them up and have'nt had any more problems.