Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catfish Rigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catfish Rigs

Original posted this in the general crappie forum (didn't realize this forum existed) and was directed here. What are your favorite rigs and set-ups for medium weight tackle. I do most of my fishing on ponds and small lakes so I don't need any big rigs. Also if you fish on the bottom, just above it... etc.- anything like that. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

my self i fish about 1-2 ft off the bottom... i use a 8ft cat maxx rod with abu garcia 6500 c3 spooled with 20 lb big game....bait fresh shad

Post Thanks / Like

I have several outfits. One is an 8' white Ugly Stik Catfish rod with an Okuma Avenger #50 Baitfeeder reel. Also another 8' Ugly Cat trigger rod with an Abu 6000. A Zebco 7' Hawg Seeker spinning outfit and an 808 spincast outfit for loaner rods. Also have a 7-1/2' Heavy Action BPS rod with an Abu 6000, and a 12' surfcaster with a #90 Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder for heavyweights. Most of the time I use anywhere from 12 lb to 25 lb test mono with Carolina Rigs and no-roll sinkers, but on the biggest rod I use 30 or 40 lb test mono.

Post Thanks / Like

i mostly like to catch cats in the 5 to 15 pound range. I use abu 6000 reels and 7 foot heavy action rods. 20 pound Berkly big game line. I use a 1/2 once egg slip weight inside a wiffle golf ball above a #3 swivel, then about 2 to 3 feet of 15 pound big game line to a 2 ought to 4 ought kahle hook. i put a float on that 2 to 3 feet of leader i use to keep hook off bottom. the wiffle ball helps the weight slip over brush without hanging up.
    Freedom isnt free, semper fi
    KI4SYJ

Post Thanks / Like

Egg sinker on Hvy line, tie off big swivel. Make a one foot leader tying two hooks back to back and a loop on the other end. Cut bait behind dorsel fin, take metal hanger with small hook built in to grab line and feed into the bait from cut end and through the mouth. Attach loop end of leader onto hanger hook, pull through baits mouth feeding both hooks into the meat and cinch. Hook leader onto swivel, fish it.
    This rigging creates a way to be able to use the same bait for more than one catch. It also helps it to be weedless. Hope I've explained it clear enough to follow. Good luck!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

80 lb cortland master braid 7/0 gamakatsu circle hooks 4 oz egg sinker 7 foot ande tournament rod 6500 abu with bait clicker and live blue gill for bait also use large shad roach in the 8 " range for cut bait just cut them in half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by microspin View Post
    Original posted this in the general crappie forum (didn't realize this forum existed) and was directed here. What are your favorite rigs and set-ups for medium weight tackle. I do most of my fishing on ponds and small lakes so I don't need any big rigs. Also if you fish on the bottom, just above it... etc.- anything like that. Thanks for the help.
    For what you are doing, any regular baitcaster or bass size spinning reel with 15-17# line should work just fine. I'd prolly stick to a MH rod 6' or longer. About any catbait will work in a pond, atleast in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

hey finchaser you dont get much line on that 6500 do you?

Post Thanks / Like

don't need much around here the rivers are narrow real narrow and mainly I fish log jams where ever they are on the river. The flat heads love the nastiest cover they can find even if its only 6 to 8 feet deep. 150 yards is plenty

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found you keep it simple and you will catch fish. Here we bait holes on the lake. We use 16' B-n-M poles with 14 lb test line and a #1 hook. Bait with Catalpa Worms , Turkey Liver, or whatever is free or cheap. Sometimes we use our Bass rods or the kids spincast Zebcos. As long as there is no current and you can cast it out , no weight on the line works best.
    We catch hundreds of Catfish every summer too.

Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast