Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a magnolia crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is a magnolia crappie?

Was looking at the state records and there is a listing for magnolia crappie. Anyone know what the difference is between a magnolia and the black or white crappie is. I've never heard of this breed of crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been told and read somewhere that the Magnolia Crappie has a black stripe down it's back. I have caught a lot of these at Sardis and have also heard them called Calico Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a sterlire crappie we had made for us here in this state. The only lake that i knew it was in is Lake Charlie Capps. The fish is said to be sterile (something to do with the temp at which the egg meets the sperm or something in the lab) and we have had pretty good success here with them.

They're emptying Lake Charlie Capps and have removed all lake limts,etc

Post Thanks / Like

This fish is a cross between a black crappie and a white crappie. These fish were stocked in sardis. they have markings more like a black crappie, and they have a black stripe down the ridge of its back.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught some of these in a watershed lake close to grenada. They had a real pronounced black stripe down their back. I just didn't think much about it at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default magnolia crappie

I have caught several of them here in louisiana. Everyone that i have caught have been over 12 inches. The sterile issue in null here. I just caught a female with eggs. The ones i catch have a brownish-black strip from the top of the head to the tail and a stripe from the bottom lip to the gills. Other than this marking they look like any other crappie. I catch these out of bundick lake in louisiana. I'm not sure of their origin or even if they are the same as what you are talking about, but they are at least simialar!
    I'll catch them all next time!!!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Well guys ....

on the outside chance that some of you guys didn't catch the discussion about these fish, on the main forum -- here's the scoop:

There's White Crappie, Black Crappie, Blacknose Black Crappie, "Magnolia" (hybrid) Crappie, and Golden Crappie.
    The Magnolia is a cross between a White Crappie & a Blacknose, and is a sterile hybrid (triploid). That's why they have the black stripe like a Blacknose. They aren't as widespread as the Blacknose, which is in various lakes all over the Southeast. Being a sterile fish, the Magnolia were developed to stock smaller lakes & ponds (so they wouldn't overpopulate). Supposedly, since they are sterile and don't go thru the spawning process (at least not with any success), then all their food energy is put into their own growth. This makes them grow bigger, & faster than the purebreds ... but don't increase the overall numbers.

What most of you, that catch a Crappie with a black stripe down the back, are catching - is the Blacknose. It's a Black Crappie that has a recessive coloration gene, that creates the black stripe. They're perfectly normal Black Crappie, and they spawn.

Carlos, Renosky, England - you guys are probably catching Blacknose Black Crappie.
    Slayer - you're probably catching Blacknose, too. And the Black Crappie is commonly called "Calico Bass", "Calico Crappie" or just plain "Calico", in many parts of the country.

Here's an excerpt from the MS Fisheries Dept Q&A:

What is a Magnolia Crappie?
    (Question asked on 11/19/2004 1:55:00 PM )

The Magnolia crappie is a triploid hybrid cross between a black-striped black crappie (a scarce color variation of the black crappie) and a white crappie. This fish has a black stripe running from the front of the dorsal fin along the top of the the body, normally extending through to the upper jaw. The eggs and milt are stripped, hand mixed and the eggs are placed in a pressure chamber causing triploidy - the development of 3 sets of chromosomes. The resulting fish is sterile because it has 3 sets of chromosomes. Because they can't reproduce they have been stocked into some smaller water bodies like Lake Charlie Capps where fertile crappie would overproduce and few would grow to a harvestable size due to a lack of enough food. Dennis Riecke, MDWFP Fisheries Biologist.

........now you know the rest of the story :D ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

What a great answer. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

We got'em in Grenada Lake too. I've caught several in the past few years......
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

They only way any lake has these fish is if the MDWFP has put them in there. They are not created by anoyne BUT the MDWFP. I have not heard of any of them being released into Grenada or any of the other large resevoirs as it would be a waste since those lakes are more than capable of sustaining NATURAL crappie.
    A bad day fishing is better than a good day working anytime. So says the Perchmaster!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast