Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Stake beds on Toledo Bend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stake beds on Toledo Bend

Has anyone out there experimented with creating stake beds on Toledo Bend? It already has so much sunken timber I didn't know if it was worth all the material and effort. I have a place on Toldeo, just retired after 39 yrs. in the classroom, and a newbie to this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 686
Size:  8.7 KB From Toledo Bend Texas!

Have not ever done any stake beds here, but have some brush piles for summer. Never needed any for the spawn. What part of the lake do you live on? I live right around the corner from 6 mile marina.

Let me add I do have a fried guid on teh more North end that uses brush all year, but they don't have much Hydrilla either.

Also talked to a new guide I just met over on the other side of the lake and he's doing the brush pile thing too, but says he has a hard time during the spawn when they are shallow. I excel at the shallow time here.

Been fishing this lake since it opened in the late 1960's.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

My place is across from Holly Park Marina. Had it for about 20 yrs. Have done good with brush piles in summer, but trying to improve shallow water, early spring success. I have a friend at Shawnee Shores and he seems to catch more crappies in that area during spring. I love shallow water, long pole jig fishing, just hasn't been that good last few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weedguard View Post
    My place is across from Holly Park Marina. Had it for about 20 yrs. Have done good with brush piles in summer, but trying to improve shallow water, early spring success. I have a friend at Shawnee Shores and he seems to catch more crappies in that area during spring. I love shallow water, long pole jig fishing, just hasn't been that good last few years.
    Alright, do you have hydrilla in your area? If so when they move in try long line trolling in 6'-7' of water around and over the hydrilla. Right now you probably can catch some like that is 12'-15' of water slow trolling maybe a bigger jig like a 1/8 or 1/16 is wind is not too bad. When they move shallow troll a 1/32 oz jig or Roadrunner like I do in the 6' or so of water depth. I don't know your area well so need info.

I think you are closer to Mark Robinson's Lodge.

PM me if you like or even call me. If you want to call my web site has both my cell and land line.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the info. and the generous offer. Your jigs look so good I know I would hate losing them to hang ups. What is the best line you have found for jig fishing? I am in Shoreline II across street (hwy 276) from Holly Park Marina. Patroon Creek area.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Power Pro best in 10/2, but also use some 6# high vis yellow mono. Also am trying some of the spider wire that came out like last year or the one before, I forget. Also have some Berkley Crystal, but it's pretty stiff. Lots of time with the 10/2 you can bend it to get it back and then just bend it back in place.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Say weedguard there's a very recent fish report from someone who just returned from staying at Robinson's lodge, look @ the state boards for Illinois --Toledo Bend report
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

sorry for butting in but im on Negreet Creek and i have the same problem in the spring time i can find much grass im my area are not looking in the write spot iv only been here for 2 years

Post Thanks / Like

Not real sure where Negreet creek is, but I suspect North of say the Indian Mounds or where the lake narrows. I talked to that guide yesterday and he's at Pirates Cove area on the La. side and they have more hydrilla than they need. I also found out when we lost all out hydrilla a few years ago they never lost theirs.

I do not know how far South you would need to come to find that, but if you do you will find the fish there. I am sure there are lots of fish up North too, just need to fish them different. I think though I would still troll and I do know when you find fish on your sonar you can't see what kind they are, but big groups of fish showing is a good thing and none showing and not any there. That is how I target the right depth, by seeing schools of fish and can be in 12' of water or 6' of water, but if there they are going to show up on your sonar. Troll them with like a 1/32 oz jig and see if any crappie hit.

If you water is clear try a Silver/Blue White jig. By clear I mean you can see you jig down 3' or more. If stained go more dark or bright like Hot Pink or Chart or what ever you like that is bright. If stained here I like to use for example a FL Red/Black & Fl Yellow body/Hot Orange marabou tail. Lots of colors will work and work well.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

thanks alot for the info greatly appreciated but im right next to turtel beach which is north of pirets cove but still south of the brige