Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement in Alabama (???)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Retirement in Alabama (???)

Okay, Bama Boys, tell me why my wife and I should retire to Alabama (Northern) as oppose to South Carolina (Upstate area). Any opinions will be gratefully and carefully considered. Currently we are in central Indiana and want to explore the Guntersville/Scottsboro area or possibly the Shoals area.

Thanks in advance
    Boilermaker
    Go Boilers!

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, I will try

My vote is for the Shoals

I live in Muscle Shoals and will for a very long time. The first and foremost thing about North Alabama is VERY LOW COST OF LIVING. I bought 2 acres of land just outside the city limits and am building a 2500 square foot house with a 1500 square foot double garage for less than $225,000. This is is a nice neighborhood. The cost of living is low. I watched a television program the other day of this family buying a house somewhere up north for $250000 and it blew me away. You can buy an increadibly nice house here for the amount of renting a one bedroom apartment in a lot of other places.

The people who live here are among the nicest in the whole US. Are we rednecks? yes most of us, but nice people. The kind of people that will stop and help you on the side of the road if you need it. The kind of people the wave when we drive past you. The kind of people the actually enjoy saying hello at Walmart.

From my house, I live within an hour or and hour and a half from some of the finest fishing lake anywhere. I live 10 minutes from Wilson, 15 minutes from Pickwick, 35 minutes from Wheeler, 45 minutes from Cedar Lake, Little Bear, and about a hour from Smith Lake, and an hour and a half from Guntersville. Remember, Bill Dance's all time favorite lake in the world is Pickwick Lake.

I grew up in Panama City, Fl. You couldn't pay me enough money to move back there. This area you can enjoy all the seasons. Cold enough to get occaisional snow, but not much. Warm enough to enjoy the summers, but not too long. Spring gives you some the the most awesome fishing in the world. And, fall here is beatufiul with the rolling hills all the hardwood trees that change color.

You are one hour from Huntsville, 2 hours from Birmingham, and 2 1/2 hours from Memphis. Nashville is alos 2 1/2 hours. You are in between several larger cities, but rural enough to live in that small town where everyone somehow knows everyone.

Muscle Shoals school system is very good. The town is growing. I live outside of town and right on the edge of being considered rural. And, I live exactly 10 minutes from the high school. The best of both worlds. This is a tri-cities area. Florence, Muscle Shoals, and Sheffield. McFarland Park on Pickwick brings in the biggest bass tournaments around. And, this year Crappie USA is hosting their CLASSIC here on Pickwick and Wilson. I catch numerous 2 pound crappie every year and the smallmouth grow very large here. Catfishing is unbeleivable. Anytime you want to you can catch a huge mess below WIison dam. And, this are is known for the huge deer population if you are a hunter.

I hope I have talked you into looking at the Shoals. I promise you can get more for your money as far as living is concerned here.
    Last edited by David Waters; 12-04-2005 at 08:16 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

fishmonger Guest

Default yes

go to the shoals,leave scottsboro as it is...little known. I dont mean to be unfriendly,but visit jackson county and live somewhere else

Post Thanks / Like

I'm putting my vote in for Guntersville/Scottsboro area. Guntersville being in Marshall County and Scottsboro being in Jackson County. I have lived in 4 different states, and although I was too young to remember one "California", it would be last on my list anyway. Colorado would be number 3, Tennessee number 2, and Alabama number 1. My father has lived in about 10 different states, all in which I have been to. Not for an extended period of time, but enough to know that I would still choose Alabama over any of them. South Carolina being one of the states he lived in for several years and I spent a while there, I would not at all choose to live there over Alabama. Now for the Shoals verses Guntersville/Scottsboro. I cant say anything bad about the shoals "except for the tornadoes", I have never lived there. Probably a good place to live. I just remember that every time there is severe weather in Alabama, it seems like the shoals is always involved in the tornado warnings, and Jackson county is not far behind. I will say I love the Scottsboro/Guntersville area. I dont live there anymore due to my job being in Tennessee, but if I was gonna retire and had the money to pick where I wanted to live, thats where I would be. I wont go into all the reasons or good things about the area, i dont have that much time and space. I wouldn't want my post to resemble one of Moose's posts. I could write a book on it. I think the Shoals or Scottsboro is a win win situation. Now one thing you gotta remember is, ROLL TIDE

Post Thanks / Like

Smile bama

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker
    Okay, Bama Boys, tell me why my wife and I should retire to Alabama (Northern) as oppose to South Carolina (Upstate area). Any opinions will be gratefully and carefully considered. Currently we are in central Indiana and want to explore the Guntersville/Scottsboro area or possibly the Shoals area.

Thanks in advance
    Boilermaker
    south carolina has great fishing,especially catfish,also great people.ala has both also! guntersville and scottsboro are very nice with great fishing.you might want to visit gadsden ,coosa river runs through middle of town and you could buy for about half compared to guntersville.call laura lankford at guyton realty if you are interested. just stay out of my crappie holes!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best place in Alabama to live...

There are many, The Shoals area ( Florence/ Sheffield/ Mussel Shoals ) is nice; but so is Guntersville, Al. and check out Cherokee County on Weiss Lake, too. Why: Nice people, good Christian values, good fishing and hunting, low property cost and taxes, pretty good schools, and wonderful sites to see; and great golf courses as well..... Look far and wide, but North Alabama is hard to beat...I traveled all over the county for 25 years, I have lived in Georgia, Tennessee, So. Carolina, and Alabama. There is no comparison between the Carolina's and Alabama in my opinion....ALABAMA WINS EVERY TIME.......In north Alabama you can buy a nice home for
    $ 150,000, and your annual property taxes would be approximately $ 750 yr.

Why look anywhere else.....?????
    Take a Kid fishing, keep only enough to eat, and release the rest to spawn again. Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shhhhhh Pop Shhhhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Rivers
    There are many, The Shoals area ( Florence/ Sheffield/ Mussel Shoals ) is nice; but so is Guntersville, Al. and check out Cherokee County on Weiss Lake, too. Why: Nice people, good Christian values, good fishing and hunting, low property cost and taxes, pretty good schools, and wonderful sites to see; and great golf courses as well..... Look far and wide, but North Alabama is hard to beat...I traveled all over the county for 25 years, I have lived in Georgia, Tennessee, So. Carolina, and Alabama. There is no comparison between the Carolina's and Alabama in my opinion....ALABAMA WINS EVERY TIME.......In north Alabama you can buy a nice home for
    $ 150,000, and your annual property taxes would be approximately $ 750 yr.

Why look anywhere else.....?????
    Don't tell him Pop that Weiss is LOADED with crappie right now and another 40,000 new offspring just released into it the other day. He'll be in Cherokee CO. before it's over.

Post Thanks / Like

Default movin south

Well I dont live in either place. I live in Tennesseee on Alabama/Tennessee boarder. I visit both areas you refer too and enjoy them both. They really are two different areas tho. The Shoals are more a flatland area and Scottsboro sees Gunterville lake and some hills. They both offer good fishing opportunites. Scottsboro offers some good Largemouth fishing while the Shoals offers good smallmouth fishing. Weiss Lake, near Scottsboro, is a crappie factory. Scottboro will be less populated. Shoals has more people. Enjoy the south, Chub.

Post Thanks / Like

okay hunterchub, just exactkly where are you? The Alabama TN border can be many places. I fish Scottsboro and Stevenson regularly, might have to hook up together sometime if you are close.

Post Thanks / Like

Default welcome to the country of alabama in the state of the united

well frist of all we dont have snow very much the summers ar ok but the fishing is good than to . we have alot of things to do hear and the springs are wonderful i guess the fall doesnt have the colors but its very plesants you will find that the southern people are the best and will help anyway they can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast