Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T-Ball Coaching

Post Thanks / Like

Default T-Ball Coaching

Anybody here do any t-ball coaching? I am looking for a book or video showing some fun drills, teaching skills, etc. I played baseball the whole time I was in school but I need something to show me how to teach the basics. I may be helping coach my girl's t-ball team this year and do not want to go overboard.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!!! There's a ton of stuff out there to help you. I'd try the local library or plenty of 'how to' books at Barnes and Nobel. The web has to be full of that sorta of stuff. Google it and stand back, you'll be flooded. Try something like -- fundamentals of baseball/softball. Gotta be a ton of stuff there. Helping you kid and other kids is a good thing. Rule #1-10: Make sure they have fun. At that age, that's all that matters.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found lots of information on the web as well as books to read, videos, etc. I just thought I would check on here to see if anyone had experience with certain ones or see if they were interested in selling books or videos that may be laying around the house. I know about the fun, that is what I am trying to learn to teach. I was pretty competetive and I was having fun when we were winning. I am trying to tone it down a notch because I know they are only going to be 4-5 years old.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how much research you have done and what you found. I found this site, if you haven't come across it, it may help you out. It's a non profit site and there is a link at the top for drills and games.
    Coaches and Administrators
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Tell them two things:

1) Do whatever it takes to win.

2) Slide with your spikes high.

Just kidding.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive coached or helped coach T-ball through 13-14 year olds and started with T-ball. T-ball is for basic fundementals and it doesnt really matter who wins (except for the parents, be considered warned!) If I had to say just one thing that T-ball coaches do wrong is this. Everybody wants to tell them to step toward the pitcher when swinging the bat...WRONG! Teach them the little knuckle/big knuckle grip, keep weight on the back foot, squash the bug and swing A to C (down and through the ball). All the kids love to hit, you will learn that some of them will only want to do that, but if they hit the ball well, they'll like it more. Also at that age they lose interest fast so dont have them sitting around doing nothing during practice, you will probably only be furnished with a couple of Tees,........trafffic cones make good Tees.

I could go on and on about this.............but do one thing if nothing else. Work with all the kids, not just the ones who show natural abliity because I've seen some diamonds in the ruff really shine later on and I've seen some great potential go to waste. feel free to PM me if you want...........I kinda miss it
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

hey bud if i can find it i have a good program i bought few years ago and its all tee ball drills I will let you know what i dig up
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welp....there goes fishing for the next 15 years or so.:rolleyes::D:D You really gonna enjoy your daught playing in sports. We started with our boy and he played thru senior league. Then he decided to work instead of playing ball, but by then our daughter had already began playing. She played thru all of Little League and then thru Highschool. After that she played two years in college before transferring to start on courses for her Master's degree. Now she doesnt have time to play and she misses it (so do her Mom and me:o).

All I can tell ya is dont do what I have seen so many Coaches do over the years....and that is making it discouraging to your own child by wanting them to be the best.:o I've seen so many (good) coaches do this to their own children just because they knew the potential their child had/could be and just wanted to get them to their fullest potential, making their children literally HATE the sport a few years down the road. Just be connitted to the team and have some fun, and MAKE SURE the children are having some fun while theyre learning the sport.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I never got into coaching but I did get into umpiring Pony League in the Midwest a long time ago. The one thing I found out was that they should remove the bleachers behind home plate. The kids are great but some parents can be a pain in the rear. My truck got keyed after a big game and I had to have it repainted. I did press charges and they payed to have the truck painted.

Post Thanks / Like

Just worry about the basics. Hitting throwing and catching. Teach them where to go when they hit the ball. Let them run the bases a bunch of times per practice. Hit them some balls to field and tell them where to throw it if they get it. teach the basic fundamentals of hitting. That has been the hardest thing to keep a kid into. They develop bad habits with their hitting that hurts them big time later on. Get all the help You can get. Have stations and keep them rotating to keep them from getting bored. I helped coach from T ball all the way through Babe Ruth and had a ball doing it, don't say I care to do it anymore though but will miss it. Parents are a big pain and some of the other coaches that have the wrong attitude about coaching. They think their child is the one in the league that is going to go pro. Be fair to the kids which is easy in T ball but if You keep going through the years, the kids that have a fair coach will have the most fun and that is what it is all about. The ones with the talent will shine on their own. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast