Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crossing into Canada from the states ( yep theres a DUI involved)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crossing into Canada from the states ( yep theres a DUI involved)

My son at 18 got a DUI. Believe me I won't defend it, no one hurt, and he's paid for it ever since with brutal insurance rates, drives an older vechicle, and regrets that decision. Its only been 3 yrs. Canada wont grant a $240.00 waiver until 5 yrs have passed. So those of you that have been crossing since the passport's been required how does that work? Is everyone asked to hand over their passport? Just the driver? Seems its always been a few simple questions and off we go. Believe me we won't lie if asked so don't worry about that we're hoping for an easy crossing. What are our chances?

Post Thanks / Like

your chances are good, his chances are zilch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dui

Unfortunately times are less forgiving now. MY buddy told me he had to arrest his training officer for dui, i guess he was involved in an accident and it was reported that he was an officer and dui. My jaw dropped when my buddy said normally they'd just give the guy a ride home out of professional courtesy. Not the same guy but any officer because its happened a few times.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Number 1, I don't believe you are asked to show your passport to Canadian officials when arriving. We traveled to Canada this past June when the US passport requirements were in effect. The Canadian's actually were against the US passport law. Canadian officials did not ask for a passport. Typically they ask about booze, firearms and knives. They will ask why you are going to Canada, where you are staying, and the duration of your trip. I wasn't asked about any DUI's, not to say you won't be asked. I can't remember if they even asked for identification. It's probably a 50/50 chance about getting thru with a DUI. Have alternative plans for your trip, or a ticket home for your son.
    I enjoyed a wonderful fishing vacation to Canada, I had a cottage on the St Lawrence river in Gananoque. You could just as easily enjoy the river fishing from the US side and not have to worry about the DUI. Canada is expensive now, and Ontario is adding additional taxes starting in July I believe. Good Luck whatever you choose!
    PS When we were arriving, they were pulling over more Canadians than US. Seems Canadians like to come to the states to but cheap goods and bring them home. That's a no no. Maybe a weekend afternoon would be a good time to cross, they'll be on the lookout for Canadian's returning from shopping sprees.

Post Thanks / Like

Does your son have a passport now? If not, he should apply for one now and before you make any plans for him to attend. He may be denied a passport because of his criminal (DUI) record.

I'm pretty sure the Canadian border guards will want to see everyones passport. If for nothing else, just to make sure you won't have problems getting back into the U.S.

Getting into Canada isn't a problem, getting back into the states can be a pain. The Homeland Security guards are stren and strict... but that's a good thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Go Dart
    I spent most of my life 20 miles from Canadien border, made many forays into Canada to both fish and buy beer( drinking age was 18). Canadien law says all persons entering the ccountry MUST have proof of identity which may be satisfied by passport, nexus card, national ID card (military, Federal ect) or valid drivers license. However their law states any person convicted of crime in USA (including misdemeanor DUI) can be denied entry into Canada. 15 years ago when heading to the Bay of Quinte to walleye fish, a friend and I were asked for our ID's ( the norm). We were then pulled to the side and the id's taken into the office. A short time later the officer returned and informed my buddy he was not welcome in Canada. In vehicles behind us were other members of our group who also had dui's who had no problem. You will need a valid passport or nexus card to return to the land of the big PX. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt he would be denied a passport and we will apply. Like Shell said I think its gonna be a crapshoot. Just trying to decide if its worth it. Guessing as long as we don't lie if found they'll just turn us around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by go dart View Post
    I doubt he would be denied a passport and we will apply. Like Shell said I think its gonna be a crapshoot. Just trying to decide if its worth it. Guessing as long as we don't lie if found they'll just turn us around
    Your son shouldn't have any problem getting a US passport and Canada won't ask to see one, but the US will. I'm sure the border folks have their own way of profiling people. My wife and I are in our 60's and we had our boat in tow for a weeks fishing. I would imagine that we didn't raise any suspicions. Now if the vehicle was full of guys having multiple facial tattoos and piercings, with max booze allowance it might raise an alarm.
    I have heard of folks heading to a fishing camp who paid big deposits being turned back and losing their deposit to boot. You don't want to get in a situation like that. If you plan on crossing from NY state and get turned back, there's a wealth of super fishing in upstate NY, walleye, salmon, lake trout, perch, northerns and the ever popular crappie and panfish.

Post Thanks / Like

I go to Canada every July through International Falls, MN. and have never had them ask. You will only need the passport to get back into the U.S. I have known guy's with dui's that have never been asked and have seen a couple that where not allowed in. In Canada dui"s are a felony and that is the reason why.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    I go to Canada every July through International Falls, MN. and have never had them ask. You will only need the passport to get back into the U.S. I have known guy's with dui's that have never been asked and have seen a couple that where not allowed in. In Canada dui"s are a felony and that is the reason why.
    I've seen that written a few times about dui being a felony in Canada but actually there are no "felonys" in canadian law