Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need a good canoe trip - South Eastern States

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a good canoe trip - South Eastern States

This spring I would like to take a good canoe trip with my son and do some fishing during the trip. Does anyone have any advice about a location where the canoe trip is adventurous and the fishing good? Maybe even an overnight canoe trip would be possible. I live in NE Alabama, but wouldnt have a problem making it a long weekend and driving to the location. Please help me out.

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some pretty good canoe trips on the Buffalo River in Wayne and Perry Countys in TN. Shouldn't be too much of a drive for you and the Buffalo has great smallmouth and "redeye" (black perch) fishing. I would suggest Flatwoods(Perry Co.). Not as many crazy drunks as Crazy Horse and the other place located on Hwy. 13 in Wayne Co.
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

White river Ar. long trip but worth it, guaranted lots of trout action and good shore lunch.
    Cotter camp dock.
    Last edited by JIG Gene-e; 01-11-2010 at 12:23 AM.
    Last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it!

Post Thanks / Like

The broad river in SC is a beatiful ride and an easy one by canoe making your trip a little easier and enabling more fishing time. The river runs really shallow all the way down making the water safe but in some spots swift enough to make it fun you know. There are a few portages but they are well marked and easy to traverse. There are also a few dams along the river that are over 100 years old that are neat to see up close. The fishing is awesome with small mouth bass being the best target. There are also nice bluegill and crappie as well as bullhead cats that dont live in other rivers any more. Lots of people kayak this river so it has been made easy for them to use.

Also, dont rule out salt water trips. Where I live right now there are tons and tons of marsh land that is good for canoing as well. Thats in SE NC near wilmington.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Default roanoke river and owls roost

we did an overnight camping/paddling expedition on the roanoke river during the spring striper run a few years back. it was a blast. we went early enough in the season where the skeeters weren't out in full force. we reserved a raised platform in the middle of the swamp called owls roost i believe. there was 10 in our group and we had more than enough room from 4tents and gear. got lost a few times trying to find the place in the swamp but it was a memorable experience to say the least. all of it is slack backwater after you get off the main river. stay on the main river channel if you wanna try to catch of few of them stripers. i think we paddled a total of 15 miles or so between the two days. had a blast.

here is a writeup of a similar trip from another group. this wasn't our group.

Roanoke River - NC
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy