Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We sure could use him now

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default We sure could use him now

Harry Truman was a different kind of President. He probably made as many, or more important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 42 Presidents preceding him. However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.

The only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence Missouri . His wife had inherited the house from her mother and father and other than their years in the White House, they lived their entire lives there.

When he retired from office in 1952, his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year. Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an 'allowance' and, later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year..

After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves. There was no Secret Service following them.

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, "You don't want me. You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me. It belongs to the American people and it's not for sale."

Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing, "I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise."

As president he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.

Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on thePresidency, resulting in untold wealth. Today, many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices. Political offices are now for sale.

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly better than the current occupant. Shoot, after this past year, Jimmy Carter is starting to look good.

Post Thanks / Like

I like that.. I never did understand why we have to keep paying all the politicians salaries after they are not in office anymore. i know I don't get paid from any of my previos employers after I left their place of business.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly better than the current and former occupant.

Post Thanks / Like

You would be amazed at how many people think he was a bad president. Don't know what other President could have made the decisions that him and Kennedy made during each of their crisis, Hate to think of "W" being President when the Cuban Missle Crisis happened. A lot of people say there wasn't any need for Truman to have dropped the second bomb. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    You would be amazed at how many people think he was a bad president. Don't know what other President could have made the decisions that him and Kennedy made during each of their crisis, Hate to think of "W" being President when the Cuban Missle Crisis happened. A lot of people say there wasn't any need for Truman to have dropped the second bomb. EB

i shudder to think what "O" would have done during the missle crisis. actually, if he'd of been in office he'd have probably not made a solid decision until they launched the first nuke from castro's backyard.
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bay of Pigs was fantastic. Good leadership from Marylin's boudoirs.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Kennedy couldn't have carried Truman's jock strap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by popperonahead View Post
    i shudder to think what "O" would have done during the missle crisis. actually, if he'd of been in office he'd have probably not made a solid decision until they launched the first nuke from castro's backyard.
    The Great "O" would have said he was sorry to them like he has to every other piece of crap that has threatened our county. He has got to be one of the worst ever.

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda look at it from a different perspective, maybe its my age. Truman was a man of true character and represented what our society was at as a whole THEN. In the course of 60 years you can see, some of us, how we have evolved. What we have now in our elected officials is a representation of what America is. For some, it leaves a bitter taste in our mouth. I have always felt that as our standard of living goes up we shed some of those characteristics that at one time held us to a higher standard. So much now is done solely for convenience not thinking about whether it is right or wrong. I honestly ask you...if a person of his caliber were to exist today, could they lead us out of the mess that we are in? Would people accept him/her? Have we gone to far?
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast