Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting New Graph. Any tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting New Graph. Any tips?

If anyone has any tips or suggestions about the mounting and wiring of a new Graph please let me know. I bought a humming-bird (piranha.max15). I will be mounting it on my front deck and I plan to run the trans-ducer to the rear of the boat. I have plans on installing a second-unit in my console later on. Mo'nback has had good reports on the suction-cup transducer mounting brackets and I am sure I may take that route. My main concern is with the wiring to my batteries, I really want to have it connected in the best way to avoid any interference from other electronics. Is the rear of the boat the best place to mount my transducer, or do the trolling motor mounts work better. I have in my mind that if I mount it on the rear, I may get a better image than having it on my trolling-motor. Maybe thats just me though.
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

By having graph at the front of the boat and transducer at back you will be seeing what is way behind the boat. The very first image on teh right of your graph is actually something that you have passed a few feet due to the process time. In order to get a truer image I'd place transducer on the TM. You will still have a lag in the image you see but at least it will be the length of the boat closer.

To see a true image you need a flasher, but there you don't have the visual image.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

TF I like the transducer mounted on the TM. Makes it easier to follow creek/river banks and ridges. I agree with Ranger, your information is fresher. I have one on the transom and the TM.
    I don't run both at once due to interference, but if you have one only on the TM you can't explore depth and structure while under gas power.
    Hope this info helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Default graph

I really want to be able to use one graph while trolling and fishing, and later when I get the one for the console I would use it while motoring and exploring new areas. Maybe I should mount this one on the TM since it may be a while till I get the other one. So far your suggestions sound good. Keep em coming .
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Treefrog:

I have two graphs - one on my console and one on my front deck. The transducer for the Lowrance on the console is on the transom and I have the graph mounted on a swivel so I can turn it around and view it from the front when I'm crappie fishing.

For the Humminbird on the front I have an angled puck transducer that is epoxied to the inside bottom of the hull near the front of the boat, only a couple of feet from where I'm sitting when I'm on the front deck.

This way I can see what's under the back of the boat and what's under the front of the boat at the same time to tell where I am on the drops and to cover more area looking for cover and fish. Here's a picture - http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/boat.JPG

My hull is fiberglass and I don't think I loose any significant detail on my graph by shooting through the hull. If you have an aluminum boat though you'll probably want to put your transducer on the TM because it won't work "shooting through".

The only problem I've had with TM mounted transducers is eventually the cord gets pinched in the TM bracket.

For the swivel on the Lowrance I used a Driftmaster rod holder bracket, some half-inch stainless steel fender washers, some big rubber washers, a half-inch stainless steel bolt with the head cut off and a stainless steel nut. It works real well and is a lot sturdier and less expensive than the Ram mounts from Lowrance.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

You don't mention what type of boat you have, if it's an aluminum one with extruded gunwales, maybe one of Cabelas portable transducer brackets would work. They clamp on the gunwale and you could move it fore and aft depending on the length of your wiring. One of the brackets they sell also has a place to mount the display.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks guys!

Jerry that is a nice set-up. Thank all of you for all the tips. I have several great ideas now. I want to research it a bit more before I start to install this unit. I may want to put it on the console and buy myself a better quality unit for the front graph. There are so many models out there and hard to know which ones will deliver what I am looking for. I need something on the front that will best at picking out structure, and locating suspended fish. Not only are there so many graphs, but there are several transducers for each one. How confusing :D . I want to ask one other question. Please forgive my ignorance. What type of transducer produces the best images for a person who is scanning an area trying to locate structure. Is it better to have a transducer to only scan straight beneath the boat, or one that also scans to the left and right.
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up more info....please??

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake

For the swivel on the Lowrance I used a Driftmaster rod holder bracket, some half-inch stainless steel fender washers, some big rubber washers, a half-inch stainless steel bolt with the head cut off and a stainless steel nut. It works real well and is a lot sturdier and less expensive than the Ram mounts from Lowrance.
    Hey, Jerry..can ya get a pic or diagram of mount... was thinking of buying Ram mount....but, if there's a better way..would like to know.. :p ....just can't wrap my mind around your written explanation.....thanks...Karl..

Hey,Treefrog....another idea...maybe get 2 transducers for your unit and put 1 on tm and 1 on transom...2 mounting brackets---1 on console and 1 on front deck....1 power cord long enough to reach both mounts...see which you like best....IMO...you would want the transducer that would give you the most coverage area...good luck with your decisions...
    Last edited by KARL; 11-14-2005 at 10:32 AM.
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coverage for 14 degree cone

Depending on the cone angle and water depth. Below is part of a table for a 14 degree angle transducer. The deeper the water the wider the coverage circle. Also the wider the angle the more coverage you will get.

Depth of water ..........Coverage (diameter)
    ....5 ft ..........................1.2 ft
    ...10 ft...........................2.5 ft
    ...15 ft...........................3.7 ft
    ...20 ft...........................5.0 ft
    ...25 ft...........................6.2 ft
    ...30 ft...........................7.5 ft
    ...35 ft...........................8.7 ft
    ...40 ft...........................10 ft
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

If you bought a humminbird fish finder, they have what they call a transducer exchange. As long as you don't open the mounting hardware and it and the transducer are in the condition it was when you bought it, you can send it in and they'll exchange it for the transducer you want. I bought a matrix 25 and wanted the tm ducer for it with temp, it cost me 5 dollars and the shipping to get it there. It's a great deal, and keeps you from buying a new transducer and being stuck with two. Here's the link. You should give them a call before you send it.

http://humminbird.com/generic.asp?ID=443

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast