Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishin as a youngster

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishin as a youngster

looking at the thread with Jeff White's duaghter got me thinking.

I can remember going fishing as a youngster with my dad and my grandad. Every single time we went, I never wanted to come home. I wanted to stay as late as possible. I never wanted to leave. The worst thing about every fishing trip was coming home afterwords. But, I don't know many kids today that feel that way. Most want to come home and watch tv, play with their freinds, or play x-box. While I like all those things I mentioned, nothing takes the place of a day on the lake or river fishing, or a day in the woods hunting.

I sometimes get worked up so bad if I don't go fishing or hunting. Almost as if I am going to loose my mind if I don't get out. My wife has experienced this first hand. It is like I get cabin fever. Don't know what it is, but I have to go fishing. I have to get otudoors with nature. I have an uncle the same way. He would sell his house and loose his wife if it came down to that or the outdoors.

It is just very very important to me. I would almost consider it a character flaw.
    Last edited by David Waters; 11-09-2005 at 08:19 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same character flaw.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default ditto

i too get cabin fever after i go too long with out wetting my line
    :p keep it wet
    take a kid fishing
    born to fish
    forced to work :p

Post Thanks / Like

lol...guys, I think most of us on this site are in the same caregory. I didn't know how bad I had it until I had to stay indoors to care for my mother. Cabin fever has a totally new meaning to me now, but it's a labor of love. I did the same for my dad eight years past.... he was the one that introduced me to the outdoors when I was a kid. I wish I could have had more time with him, I didn't realize how important he was to me. Spend time with your parents guys, they leave us too fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto that Bill, This week is the six year anniversary of my fathers passing. My years working in critical care made me THINK I could handle death better than anybody,, but when its YOUR old man,, its very different. I can't remember much about my youth but I remember every fishing trip with him and the ones with Granddaddy. I took him fishing a few times in the last few years and wouldn't take anything for those trips. I tell anyone who will listen, take your pop fishing, hunting, and ask him,,,,,,, NO,,,,,,, Make Him, tell you his life story. It'll come in handy later.
    I guess I got off the topic a little but even when I was a teen and Dad made me go I always enjoyed it once I got there. Camping, Fishing, hunting. Now I can's seem to get enough of it.
    Maybe we need a new catagory, "Remembering Dads"
    Seeya, Don

Post Thanks / Like

I sympathize complete! I grew up in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico fishing the river banks for catfish. Though my grandfather and father did teach me some things, it was my grandmother that taught me the most. There were years there that I didn't fish at all becuase of time, place and circumstance. However, my wife tells stories about me buying fishing tackle when we were first married and didn't have two nickles to rub together. I don't remember it that way, but momma is always right.

I have raise my boys in a camper/tent and a boat and to understand the fragile nature of a man's reputation. Now that they are a bit older, they still like to fish, but the friends, trucks, girls and games are dominating. While watching them closely, I just let it alone, knowing that one day when they are my age they will be telling stories to their kids how they camped and fished all the time. I have no doubts they will return to paradise fully with more energy than before.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep, us, too

We both go a little nuts if we can't get outside to do something - anything. Doug takes walks along the Great Miami River on his lunch hour. It lets him watch the water and shore for critters, gets him fresh air and exercise, and especially gets him out of that dang office.

My volunteer work with the park district gets me outdoors, usually working with kids who are interested in nature. Fishing, walking in the woods and poking around to see what I can find is something I've enjoyed since I was a kid hanging out with my dad. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

David you grew up in a different time zone than the kids today are brought up in. We didn't have the games and different thinks that are important to the kids of todays world. Back when we were brought up the family was the main stay in our lives. Now a days the families let other people tell them how to raise their kids and what they can and can't do in the raising process. When the right to raise our kids with diciplin and honor was taken away from the parents, then the kids lost the true value of the family value. Now a days the kids tell the parents what they will and won't do.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Boy does this bring back some great memories. I can remember going to Eldorado Arkansas to visit my older cousin and going with uncle and cousin fishing early one morning. Both the grownups were using neat baitcasting rod and reels and I was using a plain cane pole. I caught the biggest and most fish. So waht did I do when returned home...when straight to the sporting goods store and bought a new rod and reel. I was hooked on fishing.

Have the very bad (at least according to my wife) character flaw in that I enjoy getting out in nature even if not catching fish. Right now I'm about to climb the walls seems like when I have a chance to go something occurs that prevents taking the boat and going out.

Hope they never come up with a shot to elminate desire to fish....LOL
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

I envy all of you that have the stories and memories of fishing with your grandparents or your dad. I never had that. I got to fish maybe 5 times a year growing up. That was only when we went camping and I was only allowed to use jigs. After I graduated high school me and a buddy started fishing every saturday morning. Then he got a job where he had to work on Saturdays so we don't get out together any more. Now it's just me and my "old" lady that go fishing and she doesn't like to go out that often so I don't get out as much as I want. That's life I guess.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.