Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Tires

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Tires

Checked the tires on the trailer today both were showing wear on inside tread. Have 2 ordered pick them up tommorow ready to go for the weekend.
    Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

If the insides of your trailer tires are worn, then its possible your boat axle is bent. Replacing the tires will only fix the problem for a short time. Down the road you will be in the same situation. Replace your axle or take the boat off and take the trailer to a weld shop and have them weld a angle stiffner across the axle.

I had a lowe boat & trailer with the same problem, the axle was not near heavy enough to support the load and bounce of the boat going down the road.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default interesting

Both of my tires are wearing on the inside also. I hope the axle is not bent. My boat is a ranger cherokee aluminum with a ranger trailer. I would think it would handle the weight of my boat ok?
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a 2002 Lowe 180w & Lowe trailer maybe i should have it checked out. Thanks Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be bent... but on mine, I was having uneven wear on the original
    tires, and if you jacked up the trailer and spun the tires, I swore one of my
    rims was warped - but had it checked when I put new tires on, and it was
    fine. I was told the cheapo tires that it came with had thick and thin spots,
    making it so out of balance that it was pulling the slack in the bearings this
    way and that, making the wheel wobble. Anyway, put new tires on, and
    seem to have fixed all problems. Went with radial car tires, same size and
    load rating, for about half price of the bias ply trailer tires. Work fine.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C.
    This is a 2002 Lowe 180w & Lowe trailer maybe i should have it checked out. Thanks Jim C.

Sounds like we had the same model, mine was a year older 2001 180W with a 115. I never had the chance to fix the problem with mine, before I sold it. It might not be worth the time and money to get the axle fixed vers the cost of new tires every 3 or 4 years.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Boat axles are built to pivot up and down with the weight.(Bow built into the axle) I never have had a boat trailer that did not do it. Even the new one on the war-eagle.
    PEte

Post Thanks / Like

I am having the same problem. I have a G3 Pro 170 boat with a G3 Trailer (Bear trailer). The axle is rated for 1750# and I carry some of my camping gear in it. I am looking in to replacing the axle with a new one with a higher weight load limit for about $350. plus new tires.

These boat dealer should offer an Optional trailer axle. I would have been happy to have paid more and got a higher rated axle.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Jim C, Let me tell you the problem I had with tire waring. My tires was waring bad on my trailer about 6 months after I bought it so I called the manufacture of trailer and told them I thought the axil was bent and what it was doing. They told me they would send a new axil to the dealer and they could put it on for me, I ask them could they send it to me that I live about 2 hours from dealer they said ok. I received axil in about 7 days with new springs and two tires and rims so I put them on. about six more months the same thing they were waring again. so I got to looking for another cause and found the hitch an the trailer was bent. Changed out the hitch and that solved my problem.

mikeg

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have several traylor axels . they are round with the axel off when you roll it the wheels will wabble .the axel is bent to set the wheel streight . like setting the cast&camber on a car . a squear axel i don`t know how it is set .the bigger boats may be different . you might ask a boat dealer that handles large boats
    retired and now i will always fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast