Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: if you have a heart attack while you are alone

Post Thanks / Like

Default if you have a heart attack while you are alone

I have no idea if this is true but I thought I'd share and see if you guys knew anything about it!

What are you to do if you have a heart attack while you are alone. If you've already received this, it means people care about you ... The Johnson City Medical Center staff actually discovered this and did an in-depth study on it in our ICU The two individuals that discovered this then did an article on it .. had it published and have even had it incorporated into ACLS and CPR classes. It is very true and has and does work. It is called cough CPR. A cardiologist says it's the truth ... For your info ...If everyone who gets this sends it to 10 people, you can bet that we'll save at least one life. Read This...It could save your life!

Let's say it's 6:15 p.m. and you're driving home (alone of course), after an usually hard day on the job. You're really tired, upset and frustrated.

Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to radiate out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five miles from the hospital nearest your home. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far. What can you do? You've been trained in CPR but the guy that taught the course, didn't tell you what to do if it happened to yourself. Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack , this article seemed to be in order.

Without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously.

A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about very two seconds without let up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.

Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital. Tell as many other people as possible about this, it could save their lives! From Health Cares, Rochester General Hospital via Chapter 240s newsletter "AND THE BEAT GOES ON ." (reprint from The Mended Hearts, Inc. publication, Heart Response) BE A FRIEND AND PLEASE SEND THIS ARTICLE TO AS MANY FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE!
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for sharing that with us

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Not a good idea .....

... says Snopes - snopes.com: Cough CPR

... says About.com/Urban Legends - 'Self-CPR' - Can Coughing Save Your Life in a Heart Attack? - Urban Legends

... says Wiki/Amer. Heart Assoc - Cough CPR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Cough CPR" is a real technique ... but, it is not indicated in "all" cases of "heart attack". It's supposed to be done under professional supervision, and only in certain instances. You'd be better off carrying a 325mg non-coated Aspirin, and chewing it .... or, having your Nitroglycerin pills handy

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I Never Leave Home Without Them

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Great article. Wish there was something for a stroke. When I had mine, it took like 30 minutes for me to dial help on the phone (seemed like 30 minutes, could have been and 1hour and 30 minutes). It is a very helpless feeling that you don't know if you are going to be able to get help. If I had a land line, I would have one of the emergency necklaces. For less than a $1.00 per day, it is a lifesaver. Had our mother in an assisted living facility and she fell twice, each time out of range of the pull cord.

The older we get, the more we must plan for such events. Strike that, age is not a barrier, all of us need to think about how we can react in emergency, ours or our loved ones.

Someday they will develop a wristwatch that is tied to our cell phones and will give emergency our GPS location.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember to keep your nitro up to date. They expire 6 months after the bottle is opened and start loosing their effectiveness. I learned this the hard way.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I dont carry nitro pills or even asprin cause I dont have heart trouble. But I do know the signs and you can bet a guy will try anything he can if he thinks he is having an attack. Im gonna cough my guts out if I ever feel one coming and do it until help arrives if the good lord allows.

Post Thanks / Like

Good article. When I had the heavy chest pains I took 2 325mg Bayers and called 911. They said it saved my life. Didn't have a heart attached but next morning had to have triple bypass for 99% blockage. I didn't think I had heart problems either.
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
    Good article. When I had the heavy chest pains I took 2 325mg Bayers and called 911. They said it saved my life. Didn't have a heart attached but next morning had to have triple bypass for 99% blockage. I didn't think I had heart problems either.
    Youre right, the guy I deer hunt on just had a triple bypass tuesday and a guy I worked with had a massive attack Monday and died, he was 52yrs old. I guess a person just never knows what can happen.