Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help

I downloaded the avast virus protection that was suggested and for some reason now my computer will freeze up on certain sites and programs that it did not use to do. This may have something to do with the virus thing and it may not, I ran a malware thing and got rid of the bad thins it said to get rid of and then restarted like it said but it is still doing it. When I try to access my college website, it will let me view the homepage, but when I try to sign into my account it freezes and kicks me out, also when I try to post apicture here it does the same thing, it will let me make a regular post but not one with a pic. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

A small, recent item from a reputable web site:

Avast Antivirus Has Gone Mad - Antivirus program suddenly sees false positives everywhere... - dslreports.com

This may have some bearing on your problem.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation My computer wasn't affected ...

... current update 091203-1 was downloaded automatically, while I wasn't using my computer.

You might want to uninstall Avast ... then re-install the now updated/fixed version. It may be that you installed it right when it was experiencing this glitch (when the 091203-0 version was downloaded).

Or ... uninstall it and install Avira or AVG.

Or ... do a system restore, back to a date before 12/2/09 ... then update Avast manually.

If you got the warning popups that said such & such file/app was infected ... HOPEFULLY you told Avast to put them into the Quarantine Chest (and not to delete them :o ). If you did put then in the chest ... check the datatbase update number of your Avast program, and if it's 091203-1 ... then go into the chest and open the "infected files" ... click on the programs listed, that you know are not infected files, then restore them. Otherwise ... if you have deleted them, or Avast deleted them for you ... you'll need to reinstall each of those, manually.

But ... don't take my word for any of this. Check with a reputable computer geek. I'm just stating what I'd do, based on what I've read from the bloggers at neowin.com & dslreports.com

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help with your problem, but I'm using the free version of AVG and it work's great. Maybe you could uninstall Avast and load AVG?

Post Thanks / Like

un-install and get AVG 9
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

I would uninstall, go to cnet.com and download the free version of AVG, Malwarebites and CC cleaner. If you arent running Vista you can also get peerguardian 2 for an IP blocker there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default virus protection

Avg and Zone alarm ,about drove me nuts. Nothing but trouble. Took HND's advise http://www.crappie.com/crappie/off-t...tection-2.html
    Went with microsoft security essentials. happy as a cat covering crap.:p:D
    Last edited by pescatore; 12-04-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling