Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any NEC code experts???????

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any NEC code experts???????

I can't find the code for boat dock wiring. Type wire, etc. I know what not to do.

I searched under wet environment areas and found nothing about boat docks. Showed how to wire a hog house.

Anything above 50 volts I don't understand.:o

Any help?

Thanks

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

hey cane Pole, I thought you invented the NEC. You are so smart, I just assumed you would know this. I am not being sarcastic with my remarks either. I think you are very intelligent, just suprises me that you are asking for help on this. Any man who can built crappie catching robots would get my vote in almost anything. I hope you find the help you need

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    hey cane Pole, I thought you invented the NEC. You are so smart, I just assumed you would know this. I am not being sarcastic with my remarks either. I think you are very intelligent, just suprises me that you are asking for help on this. Any man who can built crappie catching robots would get my vote in almost anything. I hope you find the help you need
    I don't fool with anything above 50vdc. That hv stuff puts knots in yo knickers.
    I understand it, but I rather not fool with it. Chicken chit I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Article 555 in the NEC?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Looks like this is specs for public docks. I don't need much power. Any directions for a private dock? prob near the same except power requirements.

Info is hard to find.

I have all my TVA and COE permits.

Post Thanks / Like

GFI breaker and gfi recepticles should keep you un fried. Depending on length of pull depends on size wire.
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You will need to find your local codes.
    I suspect you will need to bury your cable 18"-24" deep from teh main panel to the edge of shore in pvc conduit or direct burial cable with a piece of pvc conduit up the 4x4 post. Place a 4x4 post with a disconnect switch for the run to the dock. The circuit must be CGFI protected, and no doubt the outlets must be at least 12" higher than the high water datum. The conduit on the dock will no doubt be non-metalic and water proof. Teh outlet boxes, covers, and switch plates must also be water proof and you will need to drill a weep hole in the bottom of the junction boxes incase any moisture does get in the box. Wire type will be in your local code. Verify its stranded or solid and the insulation value. Wire size will be determined by length of run and wattage of the devices in the circuit. You will also need a green ground wire from teh main panel to teh end of the circuit and all devices must be grounded, including the junction boxes and disconnect box. You may need a ground rod at the disconnect/circuit breaker sub-panel at the edge of the lake? Check your local codes.

If memory serves your dock is 150' long. If you have numerous lights and need outlets along the way you may need several cicuits. Taht being the case run a main feed to the disconnect box and make the disconnect a circuit sub-panel and not just a switch disconnect box.

Have you thought about solar power?
    Couple of options.
    Solar Boat Dock | Solar Power Dock System | Northwest Arkansas
    Solar Boat Docks

Check your local codes. There is a National Code, however most areas also have codes specific to the area. For example some suburbs of Chicago require all wiring in metalic conduit, while others are fine with romex cable.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

C P I'm a builder not an electricen. Speaking from years of experienec, That said , always use UF, underground wire, in any wet condition,and redily avalable.
    #10 copper will run a 2 hp compressor motor, even with the kick on surge, up to 150 ft no problem. That will run all your lights tv and a small milkhouse heater. I'm sure you know how to add up your amp load required for demand.
    Last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't need a lot of power. I have 4 lights and 2 outlets for charging batteries only. The lift motor is 1/2 horsepower. I don't know what the start amps are for the motor. 1/2 hp equates to about 400 watts which equates to about 5 amps run current. It takes approx 1.5 minute to raise/lower boat. I don't know crap about a/c motor run/load stuff.

Presently from the house, 12/2 overhead wiring is run to the dock and this is grandfathered in. It is 350 feet from the boat lift to the house box. The run is GFI protected.

My concern is ampicity at this length. My 2 hp framing saw works find at the dock. Lights dim a little when I trigger the saw.

UF wire is what is used in the existing aerial run.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast