Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Private Pond

rcrowell Guest

Default Private Pond

I'm constructing a new pond and want to put some crappie in the pond. Does anyone know of some good source for studying the "do's" and "don'ts" when you do this?
    I appreciate your help.

Post Thanks / Like

rcrowell I don't have a pond but have fished many private ponds and some had plenty crappie some had none the ones that had plenty crappie had deep water over 15 feet.Other ponds the owners told me they stocked crappie in them but never produced any and they never saw any fish kills to speak of a reason for never seeing a crappie come from it. But these ponds were shallow about 6 to 7 feet . and had plenty bass in them maybe the bass ate the crappie I don't know . I am sure that if you called the wildLife and fisheries they could point you in the right direction.Good luck.
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{

Post Thanks / Like

Default Private Pond......

Quote Originally Posted by rcrowell
    I'm constructing a new pond and want to put some crappie in the pond. Does anyone know of some good source for studying the "do's" and "don'ts" when you do this?
    I appreciate your help.

rcrowell.....Welcome to crappie.com and the LA board. Sacalait Steve is right, Game and Fish may be a good place to start. In case you don't have the URL: www.wlf.state.la.us/apps/netgear/page1.asp Another suggestion would be to place your post in the "main crappie fishing forum" at the top of the main message board. In that way, you can access all the members' knowledge base, and I'm almost sure you will find someone that has built a pond....or at least has some info that relates to your project. Meanwhile, I will do a little looking around to see what I come up with. Again, welcome to the LA board.....I will leave you a post if I find anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I know at one time the founder of BASS had a video out on the subject of pond building and stocking. You might also check with your local wildlife resource agency or Farmer Co-op. I know they do alot of that here at home.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default rcrowell....more sites to check....

rc
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrowell
    I appreciate your help.

I found ten pages of sites on building and maintaining ponds and learned a few facts about crappie as related to ponds, some of which you may find disappointing. The greatest problem is they say that you need a minimum of 8 acres to do well in growing crappie. I'm not in total agreement there, I've caught big crappie in 1/2 acre ponds, but myself, I would have to take that with a grain of salt. URLS:

www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/oi020402.html

Check this site out, and if you want more enter "build crappie pond" into your search engine and you should find the 10 pages I mentioned. There is mucho info there....hope it helps. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi rcrowell,

I see La Bill has steered you in the right direction. If you have anymore questions, you might want to contact a friend of mine that works for the wildlife and fisheries in Monore La. His name is Mike Wood, and he is the Biologist for the Monroe area.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!