Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gas heater question

Post Thanks / Like

Default gas heater question

My gas heater has 3 bricks but it only seems to stay lit on low. It will run for a little while sometimes on medium before going out, it seems to never run on high. It also goes out sometimes on low. When it goes out, it kicks the pilot light off too and I have to restart the pilot light as well. I have blown it out many times but it does not seem to help. Do any of you know what it might be and how I could fix it?

Post Thanks / Like

How old is it? If it is a newer model, then it will have a low oxygen sensor. This can get dusty and cause the issues you're referring to.

Post a picture of the pilot if you can and one of the whole thing.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is an older model, so it may not have an oxygen sensor. I would not know how to tell if it does or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it may be obvious. Look at the pilot light itself. Now, start following the pilot back the way it comes. It will snake back to the gas valve, but if it is a newer model the pilot will have a square part to it just before it goes into a piece of tubing.

This square thing will have a little metal flap on it. Almost like an air adjustment, but its not for air adjustment. Its a carburetor of sorts. If the flame changes temperature, the flap moves and changes the air/fuel mixture to the pilot and the pilot goes out.

Check to see if the flap is obstructed with dust. If it is, this is the source of your problem I think.

Now, if its older it won't have a carburetor. It will just have the pilot itself. Clean it. Turn the gas off, disconnect the pilot and check for carbon build up. You can use carburetor cleaner on it. You want to clear the hole, but don't push anything abrasive in it. You don't want to make it bigger by accident.

You may also have a problem with the gas control valve itself. Post a pic of it if you can. It may have a week pilot generator or a weak pilot electromagnet.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged