Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New member and new to GA area

Post Thanks / Like

Default New member and new to GA area

Hi all,

I am a new member as of 11-03-05 and am an avid crappie fisherman.
    The wife and I recently relocated from Eastern KY. To Adairsville GA with my job.
    I have started fishing over at Weiss and will hopefully be able to find and catch enough fish to give a good report from time to time.

Has anyone been on Weiss this week? I am going to try and get over there Sat. and fish around the mouth of Chattooga River. Has anyone been in that area this week and are they biting?

The wife is wanting me to go gambling over in NC. this weekend, but I hope she changes her mind and I'll be able to get on the water and enjoy this nice fall weather on the lake cathin' slabs.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Welcome BigBob ...

you might want to try the Little River area of Weiss. Recent info from that area suggests bumping bottom along channel edges is the ticket to Slabs at Weiss, right now. But, never forget to shoot the docks, either. If you don't find them in one of those places, they should be in the other. Check at JR's Marina for the latest colors, and techniques. Launch, lunch, and the latest reports can be had there, too. You're looking at about an hours drive .... also check on license prices - Ala charges out of state anglers the same price as their state would charge an Ala angler to fish in their state (or, at least they used to). Your Ky residence may afford you a price difference from your Ga residence, or not ... you'll just have to check.
    Just be careful on Weiss ... go slow and learn small sections, of the lake, at a time. Get the best map of it, that you can find ... and stay in the channels when running. Also, don't expect the shallow flats to be the same depth as the map says ... sand/mud bars come and go with each years water flow changes.

You are also pretty close to Allatoona Lake (just down I75) ... we probably have some members that can get you started on that lake, too. ...... luck2ya .......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info CP. The annual out of states in AL are $31.00.
    Bumping the bottom on the upper end of the Licking River has alway's been the ticket at my home lake of Cave Run. I have noticed there is no visible structure around the areas you described so I guess I will have to start using the depth finder a lot more than I did back home.
    I noticed your from Lexington so you are probably familiar with the type of fishing I have came from.
    The open water fishing at Weiss is going to different to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I paid 31 dollars for my out of state Bama license. Was used to paying 9.50 when I lived there. I moved to Tennessee and have to pay almost 30 bucks just for my in state license. It's high, but my crappiefishing is worth every cent.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know what you mean, back in KY the license only run till the end of FEB and you have to renew no matter when you bought them. The good thing is the license in GA and AL run from the date you bought them until that date of the next year.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yes sir, BigBob ..

fished the Cave from opening day ... but, more then than recently. Caught some good Crappie from the standing timber there, and some decent Smallmouth from it, too.
    Weiss is a whole other ballgame, than Cave Run ...LOL!! But, the Crappie do get quite a bit bigger, on the whole, at Weiss. Having a good depth finder will be a big asset ... not to mention a valuable "safety" factor. There is brush/wood in the Little River area ... you've just got to hunt for it, and mark it when you find it. I've been there a few times, mostly Spring trips, and I've found that even a very small bush can hold a number of fish. (and so can the most unlikely of docks !!) After a few trips there, you will quickly notice the "community" areas ... (you'll see a "parade" of boats traveling in roughly the same tracks). If you go find a "less traveled" section of water, and sink some of your own attractors, you'll have a "bonus" area to fish - when the guides & guide followers are all conglomerated up in one area :p
    Take care and post us some reports when you can ......... luck2ya ...cp