Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nite time trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nite time trolling

I am fairly new here but I have read everything that I can get my hands on or point and click to about trolling/spider rigging. Never have I seen anything that talks about night time trolling though. Has anyone ever tried it? I catch quite a few anchored at night but have never tried trolling. I'm just getting my boat set up to do some.

I was thinking of getting a clamp light and using a 12v bulb to shine in the water out in front of me and the floating/sinking light that I use when anchored up. Normally I fish outside the light circle anyway so can anybody think of a reason why this wouldn't work? I notice the other night that when I move with the trolling motor after sitting for a while, the bait fish were staying right with me.

Any tips or tricks are much appreciated.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default moving light spooks the crappie?

Well I am not sure but I think the moving light spooks the crappie. I have tried slow trolling with lights and never had much luck.. I am of the opinion that the fish "sneak" up on the light and the shad in it and ambush from the darkness. That would explain why the outside of the light circle is the hot spot. If the light is moving might be hard for the fish to "sneak" up on it. I spider troll in the day and set up still with lights at night. But thats just what works for me. I have heard of a guy gettin um good trolling around slow at night with no lights in the water just a little latern in the boat to see the lines/poles. He said he did better trollin' like this at night then he did in the day. But for me its still at night and troll in the day.

~Fishin' Magician~
    Last edited by Fishin_Magician; 11-03-2005 at 06:03 PM.