Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gravy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gravy

I'm going to fry some pork steaks for dinner. Can anyone tell me how to make gravy from scratch?

:o
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

Take two cups of milk, put about two table spoons of all purpose flour in it and stir real good. After you fry your chops, pour out all but a little of the oil then pour milk and flour into pan and stir until you get to the consistency that you wont. Make sure your pan is not to hot when you pour in the milk and flour or it will get to thick. Try to not let it boil. First time I tried to make gravy I had to cut it up to get down the drain.

Post Thanks / Like

What he said but I usually use buttermilk, if its to thick you can always add water til you get it thinned down.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll let y'all know how it turns out
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sawman53 View Post
    Take two cups of milk, put about two table spoons of all purpose flour in it and stir real good. After you fry your chops, pour out all but a little of the oil then pour milk and flour into pan and stir until you get to the consistency that you wont. Make sure your pan is not to hot when you pour in the milk and flour or it will get to thick. Try to not let it boil. First time I tried to make gravy I had to cut it up to get down the drain.
    :D :D That brings back some memories.My brother was a great cook & always did the cooking when we went hunting or fishing. He made some killer corned beef gravy so when a couple of us went trout fishing one year when he wasn't along we decided to try it. Didn't taste bad but was so thick we had to slice it & eat it on a sandwich.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is how grandma taught me and it works every time. After frying up whatever, pour off all but 2 or 3 table spoons. Put the pan back on the heat and add just about as much flour as you have drippins. Cajuns use 50/50. You will know if you have enough flour by how thick it gets and you want it just about thick enough to where it won't run. Cook this on low/med heat till it gets as brown as you wish. This is also called a rue. A white pepper gravy is a rue cooked just a little and not turning brown.
    Anyway, when the rue gets to your desired color, start stirring in milk and turn the heat up to med/high. Just remember, when using a thickener like flour or corn starch, you will not know how thick it is gonna be till it boils/bubbles. You can keep adding milk till it bubbles and is how thick/thin you want it.
    Season with salt and pepper to taste right after you kill the fire.
    The french call this a bechamel or white sauce. Only other tip I can give is to use a wisk to elimenate clumps.
    A brown "meat" gravy is a whole nother post, but will if yall want it.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Secret rules of gravy. Equal parts of fat and wheat flour (regular ole white flour). Heat the fat, add the flour by sprinkling over the fat. You want every little flour spec to get covered by fat. Keep the fire to a medium low.

If you notice things are lumpy, then you can add a bit of vegetable oil to smooth it. You want it to be a thick but smooth consistency.

At this point is where you will create much of the color for your gravy. You must keep this mixture moving in the pan or it will burn. Stir constantly, but slowly, until you get the color you want. If you like white gravy, then cook for about 2-3 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.

Add your liquid. It should be room temperature or warm and the pan should be warm to moderately hot, but not scorching. Whisk or stir constantly until it boils. Most folks will tell you not to boil it, but until it boils, you can't tell how thick it will get. Add more liquid as needed to give you the consistency you want. If you add too much liquid, you're toast and it won't be thick enough. If you don't add enough, it will be lumpy. If it 'breaks' or separates into oil and liquid, then you've put too much flour in it. Add a bit of vegetable oil and reheat it a bit and it will come right back together.

Now, this is the secret and separates the good from the OK gravy. You're cooking pork steaks, and they will leave some nice fat behind, as well as bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. So, when you're done with the steaks, put them off to rest, cover in foil and pour off the fat from the pan and reserve it to use to make the roux.

Return the pan to the heat and get the temp up. Once hot, add water or broth to cover the bottom of the pan and scrape with a wooden spoon to get up all the little bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. This is the flavor. The liquid has to boil in the bottom of the pan to steam up these bits.

Now, pour this off and save it. Now begin your roux (the flour/far mixture). Use this reserved liquid to mix with your milk to make your gravy. This is where all the flavor comes from.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, center, that is a fine way to make a gravy and yes, I'd love to hear your take on a brown meat gravy. Please.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I make it very similar to centerdrive. I leave about 1/8" (or a little less) of oil in the skillet and then add flour. Dont add too much or it'll clump up anddry up your grease. If this happens then add back a little mgrease. Cook the flouyr until it browns. Go ahead and add salt and pepper now if you wish. Once your flour browns slowly add milk and reduce the heat. Dont add too much milk at the beginning or the gravy will be too thin and never thicken up. SLOWLY add milk while stirring on reduced heat until the desired thickness is obtained. Now thin it just a little more and cut the eye down to the lowest setting and let it simmer for a few minutes while you set the table and get your tea fixed. It'll be ready when you are.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtaco View Post
    LOL, center, that is a fine way to make a gravy and yes, I'd love to hear your take on a brown meat gravy. Please.
    Ok then, here we go. There are really 2 ways to do a brown "meat" gravy. There is the old fashion way of cooking a roast and using the drippings instead of the milk. Or, you can cheat and use bouillon.
    You still need to use some sort of meat fat and equal part of flour to make a roux (thanks, I forgot about the x) Cook, stirring with a wisk until you get to a little bit darker color than peanut butter.
    Now, here is where everyone wants to argue. Some (like me) only use the beef drippings stirred in and keep stirring until boils, and make the mixture kind of runny. Not thick like a cream/white sauce.
    Others will say to add 1/2 cup milk to the roux then the beef drippings. This makes it a bit richer and "creamier". It is all to personal taste.
    Word of caution, using the beef broth, you have an oppertunity to season how you want with the salt. Bouillon, your all ready starting out salty.
    Well, that is about what I know about gravys. I do all kinds of sauces though. While in the service, had the chance to eat at different style restaurants all over the states and England/Europe. Learned a lot talking with cooks and friends wives. Something so simple can add so much flavor.
    Another thing you might have noticed is I do not give many amounts of things I add. Cooking is an experiment. You add as much as seems right, or maybe a little less, taste and re-season. Only rule of thumb there is, is the old saying, you can all ways add, but you can't take back. Baking, on the other hand, is strict on precise measurements. You have to follow the recipe or something bad will happen.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast